Subject: RE: [wsrp][markup] Allowed HTML Tags

Rich - I wonder if the approach to leave it to the service to find out the
correct HTML tags relative to a parent element would not lead to the
formation of different flavours of services. Some that are only embeddable
in iframes the others are only embeddable in tables etc. If so this would
contradict the plug-and-play requirement for WSRP services (at least for me
this would be the essential requirement).
Defining the allowed tags (or maybe better only the disallowed ones) would
definitely mean more work and discussion but maybe would lead to smoother
interoparability.

Best regards
Carsten Leue

-------
Dr. Carsten Leue
Dept.8288, IBM Laboratory Böblingen , Germany
Tel.: +49-7031-16-4603, Fax: +49-7031-16-4401

|         |           Rich             |
|         |           Thompson/Watson/I|
|         |           BM@IBMUS         |
|         |           04/15/2002 04:38 |
|         |           Rich Thompson    |
  |                                                                                                                                             |
  |       To:       wsrp@lists.oasis-open.org                                                                                                   |
  |       cc:                                                                                                                                   |
  |       Subject:  RE: [wsrp][markup] Allowed HTML Tags                                                                                        |
  |                                                                                                                                             |
  |                                                                                                                                             |

A question was raised earlier about embedding the output of the portlet in
different environments (eg. table cell vs. iframe) ... I'm wondering if the
portal should just indicate the parent element for the portlet's output. It
would then be incumbent upon the portlet to produce valid output for the
enclosing element. This may drastically reduce the work we need to do
relative to defining valid tags.

                      Eilon Reshef

                      <eilon.reshef@webc        To:       Carsten
Leue/Germany/IBM@IBMDE,
                      ollage.com>                wsrp@lists.oasis-open.org

                                                cc:

                      04/15/2002 09:56          Subject:  RE:
[wsrp][markup] Allowed HTML Tags
                      AM

We might need to refine some of the rules beyond "yes" and "no".

For example, there is no reason to disallow <style> and <link> tags, as
long as they don't change the semantics of the container document. For
example, if the portlet uses scoping within CSS, the styles don't affect
the container document, and yet this provides lots of flexibility to the
portlet designer (that's mandatory for really sophisticated applications).

Eilon
      Hi - here is the proposed list of valid HTML tags in WSPR.

      (See attached file: HtmlTags.zip)

      Best regards
      Carsten Leue

      -------