Subject: [wsrp][markup] Agenda for 5/8/02 conference call

Folks,

Here is the information for our next conference call, this Wednesday at 12pm
EST. I'm not sure if this time clashes with any other sub-committees, if so,
please let me know ASAP.

Date: Wednesday, May 08, 2002
Time: 12:00 PM Eastern, 9:00 AM Pacific
Title: Markup Sub-committee Conference Call

 To join this conference:

For quick access, go to https://bowstreet.spiderphone.com/27914907
(This link will help connect both your browser and telephone to the call)

OR dial 1 (866) 633-2978 or +1 (646) 485-9300 and enter 2791 4907
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-
=-=-=-=

PROPOSED AGENDA
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Markup Tags
~~~~~~~~~~~
- The list of DISALLOWED and DISCOURAGED tags for HTML and XHTML Basic are
as follows:
HTML:
  Disallowed: base, body, frame, frameset, head, html, title
  Discouraged: link, meta, style

XHTML Basic:
  Disallowed: base, body, head, html, title
  Discouraged: link, meta

- Question: What does it mean for a tag to be DISALLOWED? Does the inclusion
of a disallowed tag invalidate the whole markup fragment?

Style sheets
~~~~~~~~~~~~
- This is the full list of styles submitted by Alan Kropp (WSUI) and Thomas
Schaeck
(WSP) organized into groupings:

Fonts:
wsui-font
wsui-font-small
wsui-font-large
wsui-dim
wsui-dim-small
wsui-error
wsui-error-small
wsui-ok
wsui-ok-small
wsui-form-label
portletText
portletSmText
portletTinyText
buttonText
fieldErrorText

Tables:
wsui-table
wsui-table-row-header
wsui-table-row-sectionheader
wsui-table-row-odd
wsui-table-row-even
tableHead
tableText
tableShdRow

Sections:
wsui-section-title
wsui-trail
wsui-trail-current
portletTitle
portletTitleCust
portletHead
portletBody
portletBack

General:
wsui-page-title
wsui-block-bgcolor
portletColorBack

Menus:
wsui-menu
wsui-menu-current

- we need to come up with a naming convention, and rename all styles
- we need to trim the list and delete duplicates
- Question: Should the spec provide a default set of values for the styles,
or just
the names and a description of the styles themselves?

Secure Resources
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
- How do we deal with signed java applets, images and other resources that
the client may not have access to?

Two approaches envisioned...
1. The aggregrator proxies the request from the client to the remote portlet
and proxies back the resource to the client.
2. The aggregrator caches the resource from the remote portlet and serves it
to the client.

- We need to come up with pros and cons of each approach.
- Also open to any other approaches that people may come up with.

URL Rewriting and Namespace Encoding
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
- go over the following 3 scenarios, and come up with a list of pros and
cons

Scenarios:
1. Aggregator sends a prefix w/ request and portlet must use it to do the
URL boundary demarcation. The aggregator then parses the markup looking for
the prefix it provided.

2. All portlets use a predefined prefix which is part of the spec to
demarcate URL boundaries. The aggregator then parses the markup looking for
the well known prefix.

3. The aggregator automatically parses markup and heuristically determines
URL boundaries and does the necessary rewriting automatically.

- Question: Will namespace encoding use the same method as URL encoding? Are
there any specific differences between the two?
- Question: Should we mandate the elements that should be namespace encoded
or leave it up to the portlet developers to decide? Problem: If we mandate
the elements, then the spec will need to be constantly updated to support
new technology and we would have to explicitly cover a good portion of
existing scripting languages, markup languages etc....

Leadership Succession
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
- Due to increasing time constraints and an ever tightening schedule, I'm
going to have to relinquish my duties as the leader of this sub-committee. I
fully intend to remain an active member of this group and to help out as
much as I can, but I'm afraid I just can't dedicate the time necessary to
staying on top of all the discussion, making the concall agendas and leading
the discussion on the phone. We can, however, continue to use Bowstreet's
conference call facilities (which includes nice things such as call
recordings to facilitate minute taking) indefinitely.

- I'd like to select the new leader during this call and transfer over the
leadership of the calls starting with our subsequent conference call.