Subject: Re: [wsrp] Links in a WSRP service: what do they mean?

Hi Sasha,

very good point, I think this is something that needs to be covered in some
detail in the spec.

Some thoughts ...

(1) can be done if the producer does not mark the URI for URL rewriting by
the portal - in this case the link would go into the makup displayed in the
browser and therefore the browser just follows the link.

Protocols involved:

Client <--- HTTP --->  Consumer <--- SOAP ---> Producer (Markup with links
to resources)
Client <------------  HTTP ------------------> Producer (Resources -
Images, Sounds, Video, ...)

I.e. the normal markup is retrieved inline in the WSRP over SOAP
communication, the big resources are accessed directly via HTTP. This is
just like if you have an application server running servlets for generating
a dynamic web site and an HTTP server that serves up images, animations,
sounds and short videos.

(2) can be done if the producer marks a resource URI for URL
rewriting/proxying by the portal so that at the portal, the portal base URL
is put in front of the URI of the actual resource. When the browser follows
the link to get a resource, it sends a request to the portal proxy
mechanism, that in turn sends an HTTP request to get the resource and
retuens it to the client.

Client <--- HTTP --->  Consumer <--- SOAP ---> Producer (Markup with links
to resources)
Client <--- HTTP --->  Consumer <--- HTTP ---> Producer (Resources -
Images, Sounds, Video, ...)

(3) I am not sure how exactly that scenario would work - can you elaborate
?

(4) This is what the action mechanism with URL rewriting is intended for: A
producer may embedd action references into the markup it generates - the
consumer identifies them based on some mark and replaces them with links
prefixes with the portal base URL in the final markup that goes to the
browser. If the user clicks on such a link, the browser sends a request to
the portal / consumer, the portal maps it to the right action and makes a
performAction call to the service.

Client <--- HTTP --->  Consumer <--- SOAP ---> Producer (Markup with
embedded actions)
Client <--- HTTP --->  Consumer <--- SOAP ---> Producer (Action)

(1) and (4) were demonstrated in the little demo we showed at the first
face to face (the service for viewing documents used actions as well as
links to dynamically generated images, the setup was so that the browser
could access the images via HTTP directly)

I assume you mean

would be in the markup sent from the producer to the consumer (in this
example portalxyz.com) and then replaced by the consumer by something like

in the merkup that actually is sent to the browser, right ?

Best regards,

Thomas

Thomas Schaeck
Architect, WebSphere Portal Server
IBM Pervasive Computing Division
Phone: +49-(0)7031-16-3479   Mobile: +49-(0)171-6928407   e-mail:
schaeck@de.ibm.com   Fax: +49-(0)7031-16-4888
Address: IBM Deutschland Entwicklung GmbH, Schoenaicher Str. 220, 71032
Boeblingen, Germany

Sasha Aickin <AlexanderA@plumtree.com> on 05/30/2002 11:02:26 PM

Please respond to Sasha Aickin <AlexanderA@plumtree.com>