Subject: Re: [wsrp][interfaces] separate administration interface

Jeff,

In both cases, Personalization and Administration, I’m referring to the customization and personalization capabilities that a portlet exposes.

As it has been discussed so far, Administration is just a special case of Personalization where the user, because he/she has an administrator role, can set configuration data at template level and because of his/her role can see/touch more configuration parameters.

I see Personalization done through the portlet (i.e.: when the user clicks the EDIT button) as the user has the portlet in his/her portal page.  The portlet itself knows how to persist the configuration data that is meant for a specific user, the one making the customization. Based on the user’s roles more or less configuration parameters are exposed to the user.

The main problems I see by doing Administration in the same way as Personalization are:

* An administrator has to set the portlet template in a portal page in order to configure it.
* There is no provision, neither metadata, to enable administration through other means such as a command line tool or a configuration console. The Administration has to be done exclusively through the portal.

I’ll prepare a list of requirements on this matter and I’ll send it to the alias.

I have other concerns regarding portability of portlets across portlet containers but this is outside of the scope of WSRP.

Regards.

Alejandro

Jeff Broberg wrote:
I am alittle confused.  If a portlet wanted to expose some administration
capabilities such as allowing parameters to be modified for personallization
wouldnt they expose an "Administration" action that would then be shown to
the appropriate users based on their roles.  Or is the type of
administration that you are talking about different from the
customization/personalization capabilities that a portlet exposes ?

jeff