Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: [wsrp] Re: [wsrp-wsia] Handling "APPLY", "OK", "CAN CEL" and"DONE"]

I agree,

I think we can't define *the* semantics for buttons. Again I'd like to
repeat myself and state that this should only be done by the application,
i.e. portlet.
To give an example: we state below that APPLY naturally remaines in the
same mode while OK leaves the mode (but to which mode? - here we go with
the definition of back semantics).
But portlets may explicitly want to stay in edit mode for example to
display a success message and point out the changes made and so on.
I think if we ask 10 developers about their semantics of OK, APPLY and
whatever button we get 12 opinions.
Therefor I would hesitate to try to push this into 1.0.
I think we will also may have difficulties to define and agree which
buttons make it into the CSS classes although I think this would be a
reasonable thing to do.

Mit freundlichen Gruessen / best regards,

        Richard Jacob
IBM Lab Boeblingen, Germany
Dept.8288, WebSphere Portal Server Development
Phone: ++49 7031 16-3469  -  Fax: ++49 7031 16-4888
Email: mailto:richard.jacob@de.ibm.com

|         |           Subbu Allamaraju |
|         |           <subbu@bea.com>  |
|         |           03/20/2003 03:03 |
  |                                                                                                                                                  |
  |       To:       Eilon Reshef <Eilon.Reshef@webcollage.com>                                                                                       |
  |       cc:       WSRP <wsrp@lists.oasis-open.org>                                                                                                 |
  |       Subject:  Re: [Fwd: Re: [wsrp] Re: [wsrp-wsia] Handling "APPLY", "OK", "CAN  CEL" and "DONE"]                                              |

Eilon Reshef wrote:
> I think it's also pretty clear that the entire concept of "modes" is a
poor
> man's way to try to put structure to applications (=portlets). As
portlets
> become more complex (=have more business value), the distinction between
> help, view and edit blurs (e.g., context sensitive help, multiple levels
of
> customization, remembering the last user state, etc.), and hence this
> structure loses much of its value.

Well said. I agree with you. I would like to add the following:

- It is fairly easy to come up with portlets that don't rely on modes
for any structure/flow, or use some other mechanism for managing
structure/flow.

- Not all applications share the same sense of what terms like APPLY,
OK, CANCEL mean.