Subject: Re: [wsrp] Groups - wsrp-specification-1.0-draft-0.94.doc uploaded

Title:
Richard Jacob wrote:
Sorry to intervene, Rich.

Are you sure the ID type change made it into 0.94?
Currently section 5.1.4 says:
"IDs are used to refer to something, but are unlikely to be used as keys.
As a result the length restriction is relaxed to 4096 characters. We
STRONGLY RECOMMEND these characters be chosen from the first 127 characters
of the Unicode character set, so that the length is no longer than 255
characters regardless of whether it is represented in Unicode, ASCII or a
byte[]."

Forgive me for butting in, but this section has always annoyed me!
  1. Don't you mean "no longer than 255 bytes"? Something 255 characters long is guaranteed to be 255 characters long!
  2. Even if you do mean 255 bytes, the statement is wrong, because in Unicode every character has a fixed length of 2 bytes! You probably mean UTF-8 instead of Unicode!
  3. Not all character encodings are guaranteed to make the ASCII characters 1 byte long - Unicode is an example and there are probably others
  4. What do you mean "represented as a byte[]"? Character encodings are all about how to interpreting bytes as characters, so a byte array on its own without defining the character encoding is meaningless! You probably mean ASCII or ISO-8859-1, where each character can be represented by a single byte.
By the way, I am looking forward to meeting everyone (as an observer) at the F2F!

David Ward
My assumption was that 0.94 is the version which fixed various like you say
editor errors but the ID type remark came in *after* the release of 0.94.

Mit freundlichen Gruessen / best regards,

        Richard Jacob
IBM Lab Boeblingen, Germany
Dept.8288, WebSphere Portal Server Development
Phone: ++49 7031 16-3469  -  Fax: ++49 7031 16-4888
Email: mailto:richard.jacob@de.ibm.com

|         |           Rich             |
|         |           Thompson/Watson/I|
|         |           BM@IBMUS         |
|         |           04/16/2003 10:15 |
  |                                                                                                                                                  |
  |       To:       wsrp@lists.oasis-open.org                                                                                                        |
  |       cc:                                                                                                                                        |
  |       Subject:  Re: [wsrp] Groups - wsrp-specification-1.0-draft-0.94.doc uploaded                                                               |

This reflects "editor errors" that people brought up in the first week of
reviewing v0.93. The one that has been brought up since is that the
discussion of the ID type incorrectly states the limit is 255 characters.
The WSDL has also had a set of minor corrections and a diff will be
required to decipher the changes.

Rich Thompson

   Michael Freedman
   <Michael.Freedman@oracle.com>          To:
                                  richard.jacob@de.ibm.com
                                          cc:
   04/16/2003 02:18 PM            wsrp@lists.oasis-open.org
                                          Subject:        Re: [wsrp]
                                  Groups -
                                  wsrp-specification-1.0-draft-0.94.doc
                                  uploaded

Can someone clarify what this is?  Is this an updated version of .94
containing changes agreed on from last Thursday's meeting?  Is it safe
to assume that change bars indicate a delta from April 4th?  I haven't
looked at the WSDL files yet ... do they differ?  If so how do I figure
out what has changed?  Are the details captured in a comment or do I
need to do a diff?
   -Mike-

richard.jacob@de.ibm.com wrote:

The document revision wsrp-specification-1.0-draft-0.94.doc has been

submitted by Richard Jacob (richard.jacob@de.ibm.com) to the Web Services
Remote Portal TC document repository.

This document is revision #2 of wsrp-specification-1.0-draft-0.92.doc.

Document Description:
WSRP specification dated 04/10/2003.

Download Document:
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/wsrp/download.php/1503/wsrp-specification-1.0-draft-0.94.doc

View Document Details:
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/wsrp/document.php?document_id=1503

Revision:
This document is revision #2 of wsrp-specification-1.0-draft-0.92.doc.

The document details page referenced above will show the complete revision
history

PLEASE NOTE:  If the above links do not work for you, your email

application

may be breaking the link into two pieces.  You may be able to copy and

paste

-OASIS Open Administration

--

David Ward