Subject: [wsrp] Errata requests for 5/8/2003

Here is the current list of errata requests we need to deal with:

#1. 4/24/03 (Atul Batra)
If it's not too late, could you please include my name in Appendix D.2 of the specification titled "WSRP Committee Members"

Document: Spec

Section: D.2

New Text:  Atul Batra*, Sun Microsystems

#2. 4/24/03 (Rich Thompson)
Version coming out of the public review period should be our 1.0

Document: Spec & wsdl

Section: Property (shows in header and page 1). Also in wsdl and xsd file comments.

Old Text: 0.95

New Text: 1.0

#3. 4/24/03 (Claus Von Riegen)
Our WSDL uses qualified names to reference portType fault operations from soap:fault elements. Taking the following WSDL fragment (that is part of a wsdl:operation, which in turn is part of a wsdl:binding) as an example,

<wsdl:fault name="AccessDenied">

  <soap:fault name="intf:AccessDenied" use="literal"/>

</wsdl:fault>

The "intf:" prefix makes the WSDL document invalid against the WSDL 1.1

schema, since the soap:fault name attribute is of type NCName. Removing all occurrences of the "intf:" prefix should resolve the issue.

Document: wsrp_v1_bindings.wsdl
Section: throughout

Old Text:  <soap:fault name="intf:...
New Text:   <soap:fault name="...

#4. 4/24/03 (William Cox)
Section 1.2.3 -  Comment: The Consumer can also be viewed (and is, indeed, so viewed by many) as a message switch, routing the results of user interaction to the appropriate producer for action ( if the consumer does not itself respond to the interaction).  We should consider mentioning this in a future draft.

Document: Spec

Section: 1.2.3

Old Text:
and presents the aggregation to the End-User. One typical Consumer is a portal,

New Text:
and presents the aggregation to the End-User. Because of this intermediary role, Consumers are often compared to "message switches" that route messages between various parties. One typical Consumer is a portal,

#5. 4/24/03 (William Cox)
Section 1.2.3 - Comment: in ISO terminology, the consumer is a sort of User Agent.

Document: Spec

Section: 1.2.3

I think this would be an addition to 1.2.3, but I wonder whether it is strictly true. Doesn't a User Agent "process" the markup on behalf of the End-User? Would adding this to the description be more confusing than helpful?

#6. 4/24/03 (William Cox)
Section 3.2 and elsewhere - "an IDL-like syntax" begs the question of "which IDL?" -- this is an editing nit, but got annoying after the third or fourth time.

Document: Spec

Section: 3.2+
Old Text: IDL-like syntax

New Text: IDL style syntax

#7. 4/24/03 (William Cox)
Section 3.1.2: Why is WS-I.org listed as an "emerging standard"? Given that the Basic Profile is out (which is one more spec than WSRP has out so far  :-) ), we should list the basic profile in the Existing Standards list. It's OK to also list ws-i.org in the "emerging standards" list with (say) security profile mentioned.

Document: Spec

Section: 3.1.2
Old Text:
WS-I.org - Defines profiles for use of web services standards such that interoperability is maximized.
New Text:
WS-I.org - Defining additional profiles (e.g. Security) for use of web services standards such that interoperability is maximized.

Document: Spec

Section: 3.1.1
New Text:
WS-I.org - Has defined a base profile for use of the WSDL, SOAP and UDDI web services standards such that interoperability is maximized.

#8. 4/24/03 (William Cox)
Section 3.1.2: "JSR168 – Java Community Process for standardizing a portlet API." should be written "JSR 168 - a Java Community Process effort for standardizing the Java Portlet Specification"

Document: Spec

Section: 3.1.2

Old Text:
JSR168 - Java Community Process for standardizing a portlet API.
New Text:
JSR 168 - Java Community Process effort defining the Java Portlet Specification.

#9. 4/24/03 (William Cox)
Section 5.1.4: "We STRONGLY RECOMMEND these characters be chosen from the first 127 characters of the Unicode character set, so that the length is no longer than 4096 characters regardless of whether it is represented in Unicode, ASCII or a byte[]."

This sentence has several problems.  (1) the length of a 4096 character string, wchar or not, is always 4096 characters. What you mean is 'length is no longer than 4096 bytes.'  (2) byte[] should be written 'byte array'.  So, rewritten, it should read

"We STRONGLY RECOMMEND these characters be chosen from the first 127 characters of the Unicode character set, so that the space consumed is no greater than 4096 bytes regardless of whether it is represented in Unicode, ASCII or a byte array."

Document: Spec

Section: 5.1.4
Old Text:
We STRONGLY RECOMMEND these characters be chosen from the first 127 characters of the Unicode character set, so that the length is no longer than 4096 characters regardless of whether it is represented in Unicode, ASCII or a byte[].

New Text:
We STRONGLY RECOMMEND these characters be chosen from the first 127 characters of the Unicode character set, so that no more than 4096 bytes of storage is required regardless of whether it is represented in Unicode, ASCII or a byte array.

#10. 4/24/03 (William Cox)
Section 14: The definitions look pretty much OK.  The word hyperlink didn't work (404) for the second two.

Document: Spec

Section: 14

Action: Fix target for the second two hyperlinks to match the displayed text.

#11. 4/24/03 (William Cox)
XML Spy complained  that the first definition was invalid: "Localized String -- Invalid - no attribute with name xml:lang has been defined in this or in included/imported schemas.  (As part of another schema, it might still be OK)"

Document:
WSDL

[RT] I'm not sure that this isn't a bug in XML Spy. We do import the schema that defines xml:lang. It may be trying to dereference this through a definition of the "xml" prefix to the actual namespace (http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespace), but this is explicitly a prefix association that XML defines and declares as not available for redefinition by the xmlns: method of associating prefixes with namespaces.

#12. 4/24/03 (Andrew Wright <andrew.wright@oracle.com>)
I just noticed in 0.95 of the WSRP spec pg 64, ln 20, an URL rewriting example is given as:

wsrp-rewrite?wsrp-urlType=blockingAction&wsrp-secureURL=true&wsrp-navigationalState=a8h4K5JD9&interactionState=fg4h923mdk/wsrp-rewrite

I think it should be:
wsrp-rewrite?wsrp-urlType=blockingAction&wsrp-secureURL=true&wsrp-navigationalState=a8h4K5JD9&wsrp-interactionState=fg4h923mdk/wsrp-rewrite

Document: Spec

Section: 10.2.1.8 (example 3)

Old Text:

#13. 4/30/03 (Yossi Tamari)
Change definition of the Extension type:

Document: Spec
Section: 5.1.1
Old Text: [O] Object                 any[]

New Text: [O] Object                 any

Reason: The definition here is of a single Extension field, not of the array. Anywhere else in the spec we use an array of Extension ([O] Extension extensions[]). This also matches our wsrp_v1_types.xsd better.

#14. 4/30/03 (Rich Thompson)
Change definition of the any field for the Extension type. Several developers from various companies have emailed me about the requirement that the extensions come from a non-WSRP namespace. The question centers on how to then reuse the types defined within the WSRP namespace. I suggest adding the following sentence:

Document: Spec

Section: 5.1.1

New Text:
While the element definitions for these extensions are required to be in a namespace other than WSRP, the reuse of the types defined within the WSRP namespace by those definitions is encouraged as this increases the likelihood of the receiving partner being able to deserialize the extension in a useful manner.

#15. 5/5/03 (Rich Thompson)
This conformance statement refers to the registrationPropertiesDescription field as required, but the IDL and WSDL both say it is optional.

Document: Spec
Section:  5.2
Old Text:
The minimum information a Producer MUST return from getServiceDescription() is that which declares what is required for a Consumer to register (i.e. the requiresRegistration flag and the registrationPropertyDescription field) with the Producer [R300][R301][R303].

New Text:
The minimum information a Producer MUST return from getServiceDescription() is that which declares what is required for a Consumer to register with the Producer (i.e. the requiresRegistration flag and whenever additional data is required, the optional registrationPropertyDescription field) [R300][R301][R303].

Rich Thompson