Subject: RE: [wsrp] suggested 1.0 errata / direct resources

Yes, cookies and sessions would not be shared with such direct resources. We would need to call out this implication.

The consumer would only add the new template (it would be optional and the fall-back is the current renderTemplate) if it knew that the client has direct Internet access. A Consumer (optionally) sets both resource templates and the producer uses them as follows:

both - uses renderNoRewriteTemplate for gif etc that don't require a rewrite, cookie or session. renderTemplate for other resources.
only renderTemplate - use for all resources ({wsrp-requiresRewrite} controls re-write by consumer)
only renderNoRewriteTemplate - not allowed!
neither - resources that don't require a rewrite are written in as direct urls, producer could fall back on consumer rewriting for resources that require a rewrite or should re-write at the producer side. [default templates would not include the {wsrp-url} {wsrp-requiresRewrite} slots so can't be used.]

So, the consumer can decide to proxy on a per-request basis (i.e. request the producer to proxy no-rewrite resources on a per-request basis, with templates (optionally) cached in user sessions).

regards,
Andre
-----Original Message-----
From: Tamari, Yossi [mailto:yossi.tamari@sap.com]
Sent: 29 June 2003 10:34
To: wsrp@lists.oasis-open.org

Hi Andre,

Such resources also cannot count on using cookies, sessions etc., right?
The producer will also be taking the chance that the end user has no internet access to the direct URL (because of firewall issues, for example), and therefore the portlet can break, without either the consumer or the producer being able to fix this, right? Or is the consumer allowed to decide to proxy the resource anyway?

I have a feeling I am still not understanding your expected behavior of producers/consumers in this case...

    Yossi.