Subject: RE: [wsrp] WSRP and DOCTYPE

Maybe when a developer is under a tight deadline and working from legacy code? Declaring a special markup type in the Portlet metadata might help a consumer to decide how / if to render such a Portlet. A specially defined parameter could be added to the MIME type string...

Regards,

Andre

From: Rich Thompson [mailto:richt2@us.ibm.com]
Sent: 28 October 2004 14:52
To: wsrp@lists.oasis-open.org

Are there use cases where portlet developers are encouraged to write markup that requires quirky interpretation by the browser?

I can understand there might be a problem if the Consumer sets the page into strict mode and interpreting a portlet's markup requires quirky mode, but is there any problem with the inverse case (page in quirky mode and a portlet generates strict markup)?

Rich

Subbu Allamaraju <subbu@bea.com>

10/26/2004 09:35 PM

wsrp@lists.oasis-open.org

[wsrp] WSRP and DOCTYPE

I've question on how best to deal with DOCTYPE issues.

Browsers use DOCTYPE to determine whether to render a page in strict
mode or quirks mode. This causes problems for WSRP, since portlets will
not have a clue of the DOCTYPE used by the consumer. So, the generated
markup may not render correctly.

One possible solution is to let the consumer send the DOCTYPE to the
producer. But, before submitting a change request for this, I would like
to know what markup experts in this group think?