Subject: RE: [wsrp] spec-2.0-draft05: lifetime interfaces: allow Consumers torequestlife timeon creation?

agreed in the case where the requested lifetime is longer than the one the
producer is willing to serve.
And I think we should not step into negotiations there (Producer is the one
ruling over max. lease time).
See my request for metadata to allow the producer to describe the maximum
possible.

However if the consumer wants less the the max then it could save the
setxxxLifetime operations.
Example:
producer serves with 1 month max lease time.
Consumer wants a "trial account" for demo purposes for 1 week.
It helps the Producer saving these resources by saying: "one week is enough
for me, after that period you can safly clean up".

Mit freundlichen Gruessen / best regards,

        Richard Jacob
IBM Lab Boeblingen, Germany
Dept.8288, WebSphere Portal Server Development
WSRP Standardization Technical Lead
Phone: ++49 7031 16-3469  -  Fax: ++49 7031 16-4888
Email: mailto:richard.jacob@de.ibm.com

             "Andre Kramer"
             <andre.kramer@eu.
             citrix.com>                                                To
                                       <wsrp@lists.oasis-open.org>
             03/04/2005 01:08                                           cc
             PM
                                                                   Subject
                                       RE: [wsrp] spec-2.0-draft05:
                                       lifetime interfaces: allow
                                       Consumers torequest life timeon
                                       creation?

That's what is under discussion. However, when coding a consumer, one
must still check that the value returned is similar to that requested
(so this is only a potential optimization) and a producer is likely to
only agree to consumer values close to their default policy or SLA, and
if the consumer should ask for a value significantly different, I would
*still* return the default and force the consumer to do the extra work
of setting the lifetime:

Consumer "Can I have 5 please"
Producre "Only if you can't make do with 3"
Consumer "No, I really need 5"

Producer "OK, then I will make special arrangements to provide you with
5, such as set extra timers, etc."

Therefore, the optimization may not be worth much.

Regards,
Andre