Subject: Re: [wsrp] Spec defined events

I think clear rationale for when a fault vs an event is in order would need to be part of such definitions. My suggestion for the rationale:

Faults indicate that processing has failed for a particular reason. When a change (e.g. required registration information) results in such a failure, the relevant fault MUST be returned. When a change does not result in such a failure, the Producer MAY proactively inform the Consumer that a change has happened using one of the defined events. Such a notification would provide an opportunity to the Consumer to inform relevant parties (e.g. administrators) that action on their part might be appropriate.

As to other options to carry such notifications by other means, why would we add such dependencies when we already have a channel that could easily carry the information. I agree that the Consumer is not likely to display the fact that it received such an event to normal end-users, but it certainly would be valuable info to display to system admins (or queue for display to them).

Rich

Subbu Allamaraju <subbu@bea.com>

03/10/05 09:35 AM

Andre Kramer <andre.kramer@eu.citrix.com>
cc
wsrp@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject
Re: [wsrp] Spec defined events

Probably, except for one difference. Registration related faults get
ruturned for a valid registration issue. In this case nothing else can
be done other than returning a fault. For these events, we're using a
return path as a broadcast.