Subject: Versioning questions

Following up the discussion on versioning during today's TC call, I'm
starting this thread to discuss compat issues for WSRP V1 implementors
to reflect upon.

By the time V2 implementations begin to appear, one of the questions
implementors will face is whether an existing WSRP Producer/Consumer
deployment is both forwards and backwards compatible. This implies two
things: V1 Consumers should be able to consume portlets offered by V2
Producers. Similarly V2 Consumers should be able to consume portlets
offered by V1 Producers without changing V1 deployments.

IMO, it would be unrealistic to expect WSRP deployments to migrate
Producers and Consumers simultaneously to V2, and so the question of
compat becomes critical. This discussion is important for V2 because it
affects V2 XSD and WSDL significantly.

I request members of this TC to discuss this issue within their teams,
and comment.