Subject: Re: [wsrp] Rationale for encouraging POP handles be UIDs

I have a couple of concerns with where this seems to be heading:

1. Import/Export is currently the solution designed for handling such use cases. Introducing a second optional feature to provide work-arounds for when import/export isn't supported seems a bit broken. Even if we do introduce the second approach, this won't address how Consumers might achieve the desired functionality with v1 Producers.

2. Your use case starts out with "By unique I mean that a consumer can use the value of a POP handle to match POPs across registrations", but then you go on to describe a use that crosses Producer boundaries as well as registration boundaries. Wouldn't the cross-Producer usage effectively require the POP handle be assigned by the Portlet when it was packaged for deployment on Producers? If so, I would be concerned about issues with Producer customizations and a lack of tools to bind such an identifier to Portlet packages.

Rich

Michael Freedman <michael.freedman@oracle.com>

04/06/05 11:55 AM

wsrp <wsrp@lists.oasis-open.org>
Re: [wsrp] Rationale for encouraging POP handles be UIDs

Import/Export isn't a required supported feature in WSRP 2.0.  Nor does
it apply in 1.0.  In its absence consumers will still want to recreate
the set of portlets that existed in the packaged application; they we
merely lose the customizations of those portlets.  I.e. they will
recreate the original portlet on the page from the POP but none of the
derived portlets that represent further customizations.  In such a
scenario, the consumer needs a way to reassociate the relationships
between the portlet, POP and portlet meta data.
   -Mike-