Subject: RE: [wsrp] [CR315] - Producers SHOULD or MAY do userProfile namemapping

Interoperability should also consider 3rd party tools (e.g. a XML gateway / application level firewall) so encouraging (via SHOULD) spec defined names on the wire is the right thing to do (both sides).

Regards,

Andre

From: Rich Thompson [mailto:richt2@us.ibm.com]
Sent: 05 May 2005 19:36
To: wsrp@lists.oasis-open.org

I understand the sentiment, but doubt it really works. Consider the case where the Consumer and Producer each have their own user profile item names which are distinct both from each other and the spec defined names, but with roughly 90% overlap on a semantic level (I suspect this is the normal cross-vendor case!). I think both need to have a requirement to maps their unique names to spec defined names where semantics match. The remaining names could be mapped by either side, but preferably this is done by whomever has the knowledge required to declare matching semantics.

Rich

Subbu Allamaraju <subbu@bea.com>

05/05/05 02:17 PM

wsrp@lists.oasis-open.org

Re: [wsrp] [CR315] - Producers SHOULD or MAY do userProfile name mapping

Rich Thompson wrote:

> I don't see this as an interop issue as it relates to making use of
> additional data and therefore relates to interop in the same manner as
> extension elements.
>
> I think we had quite a debate about this in the v1 timeframe and came to
> the consensus that any such mapping was going to require that someone
> either know or be able to guess that two different user profile items
> had the same semantics. As such, we decided to encourage both sides to
> support name mapping so that the knowledge could be applied regardless
> of on which partner's end the knowledge existed.
>
> The potential interop issue would be if neither side made an effort to
> map their internal user profile items to the spec defined set. The
> potential change I could see adding in this area would be to add a
> requirement that such mappings be done.

That's right. This is what I was referring to when I commented about
possible interop issues. One of the parties must do the mapping to get
this to work, and I feel that we should have a stronger requirement on
the consumer, and a weaker requirement on the producer for mapping.

Subbu