Subject: Re: [wsrp] Two significant developments; do they bear on our work?

Title: Two significant developments; do they bear on our work?

Hi Rex,

With respect to Web SSO MEX and Web SSO Interop Profile, Sun and Microsoft actually announced [1] their intent to submit the specifications to a standards organization for finalization and ratification as industry standards.

With respect to WS-Management, I believe that Microsoft had previously announced, on behalf of the authors, the intent to submit the specification to the DMTF. I understand that that timing for that is being finalized.

On the relationship between WS-Management and WS-Policy or WS-Resource, there is currently none (I believe, WS-Management simply relies on WS-Addressing to identify endpoints).

Regards,

Atul

[1] http://www.sun.com/smi/Press/sunflash/2005-05/sunflash.20050513.1.html

Rex Brooks wrote:
Hi  Folks,

I had two articles catch my attention today, though they are last week's news. However, I have questions for each of them for any who can speak to the topics.

1) Microsoft, Sun Partner On Identity Specs
By Antone Gonsalves, TechWeb.com

Microsoft Corp. and Sun Microsystems Inc. on Friday unveiled jointly developed specifications, which will support Web single sign-on between the companies' systems.

2) Microsoft .Net Gets UML 2.0 Modeling   May 13, 2005

New Borland Together modeling tools provide Unified Modeling Language 2.0 capabilities to Visual Studio development languages

1) Anyone know if there are any plans to bring Web Single Sign-On Metadata Exchange (Web SSO MEX) protocol and Web Single Sign-On Interoperability profile (Web SSO Interop Profile), and WS-Management to a more widely-accepted SDO like OASIS? Also, is WS-Management related to WS-Resource or WS-Policy?

Isn't it time to initiate a consolidation of all these specs? It is really awful trying to explain this mess to anyone who sees mass confusion in web services. Also it tends to undermine confidence in our own spec.

2) Does anyone know if there is any concern over at OMG for conformance testing for UML 2.0? It would be nice if work done for J2EE would also work for .NET. I don't know who else works cross-platform, let alone cross-vendor and cross-OS, but I am thinking of trying to start a sourceforge project for documenting all those testy little bottlenecks where one version of a DB for Linux doesn't work the same as for a Windows Server (name the flavor).

Last thought: With the advent of OWL Lite, DL, and full, I think it would be nifty if we could fire up a Search/Indexing Standard project so that we can start using the Semantic Web work for Web Services in a reliable, programmatic methodology. Anyone else with similar thoughts?

Ciao,
Rex

--

Rex Brooks