Subject: Re: [wsrp] Redirect from handleEvents

I agree with Mike and have the same concerns.
For me a redirect makes sense if the initially targetted portlet, i.e. the
one the user interacts with sends a redirect (be it on an action or an
event) and the portlet is able to address yet another portlet on the
consumer page (or even another page).
But as of now we have only a simple "external" redirect that leaves the
Consumer portal context and we don't have an addressing scheme which would
allow addressing of other portlets/pages.
Therefor I see very limited usage to redirect right now and I don't see a
real valueadd in allow redirect in events for now.
Once we probably discuss more sophisticated redirect scenarion with
page/portlet affinity then redirect may make sense.
For the time being I wouldn't add this extra complexity to the protocol
without a real valueadd.

Mit freundlichen Gruessen / best regards,

        Richard Jacob
IBM Lab Boeblingen, Germany
Dept.8288, WebSphere Portal Server Development
WSRP Team Lead & Technical Lead
WSRP Standardization
Phone: ++49 7031 16-3469  -  Fax: ++49 7031 16-4888
Email: mailto:richard.jacob@de.ibm.com

             Michael Freedman
             <michael.freedman
             @oracle.com>                                               To
                                       wsrp <wsrp@lists.oasis-open.org>
             08/04/2005 01:08                                           cc
             AM
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [wsrp] Redirect from
                                       handleEvents

Subbu,
   I continue to question the value of adding redirect from a handleEvent
because I don't understand the circumstances where a Consumer would honor
such a redirect.  These are the possible situations I see:
      A portlet's handleEvent is called after a user interaction in another
      portlet.
      Why would a consumer allow/think its appropriate to redirect when
      this redirect is caused not by the portlet being interacted with but
      something else in the page/context?
      A portlet's handleEvent is called after an interaction in this
      portlet that raised an event that got distributed to another portlet
      which raised an event that the originating portlet is now handling.
      Though slightly more credible because the portlet doing the redirect
      was the target of the original interaction it again seems suspect
      that a Consumer [even if it bothered to pay attention to who was the
      original target] would allow such a redirect. Do you have a use case
      for this?  Is this the one scenario you are concerned about?
      A portlet's handleEvent is called by the consumer directly without
      any user interaction.
      Why would a Consumer allow/honor this?  Redirecting without a user
      interaction breaks the consumer in that a portlet can hijack a page
      and prevent all [regular] users from ever getting to that page.
   -Mike-

Rich Thompson wrote:

      While it is a reasonable exercise to make sure our web service
      definitions map reasonably to popular platforms, lets make sure not
      to go too far in trying to define how something like the Java Portlet
      API should be extended to deal with v2 items such as events as some
      other standardization group will be who makes those determinations.

      As to your questions:
      a. As a user, I rarely see what looks like an action URL result in a
      redirect. On the other hand, I frequently see regular URLs direct the
      browser away from an aggregated page.

      b. I would hope APIs such as the Java Portlet API would support v2
      events by allowing developers to define their own event handling
      methods and connect these to events via metadata (one could even hope
      for a reuse of WSDL!). This makes it easier to expose the semantics
      of the event handler to whomever is defining how the portlet is
      participating in the processing of the aggregated page(s). This is
      significantly more natural for the portlet developer than having a
      generic method which is simple a large switch statement for selecting
      the "real" event handler. Whether of not such methods are required to
      have a specific signature or whether the available set of inputs and
      outputs is variable depends a lot on the environment, but requiring a
      specific signature style is not a significant burden on the
      developer.

      Rich

 Subbu Allamaraju <subbu@bea.com>

 07/29/05 05:46 PM                                                      To
                                                    wsrp
                                                    <wsrp@lists.oasis-open
                                                    .org>

                                                    [wsrp] Redirect from
                                                    handleEvents

      To take yesterday's discussion forward, I would like to summarize the

      current arguments.

      Problem: handleEvents does not allow Producers to request for a
      redirect.

      Argument 1: To keep the programming model simple, allow Producers to
      return a redirectURL, and clarify that Consumers are NOT REQUIRED to
      honor such a redirect.

      Argument 2: Since some/most Consumers may not honor a redirect due to

      the possibility of parallel event processing, why specify something
      that
      may not work always.

      I would like to ask the following questions for discussion next week.

      a. How frequently do developers rely on redirect?

      b. How would you see redirectURL getting exposed in the portlet
      programming model, for example in the Java Portlet API.

      generates this mail.  You may a link to this group and all your TCs
      in OASIS
      at: