Subject: RE: [wsrp] redirectURL allowed in handleEvents response?

I just want to observe that we can't really be tightly coupled as our
explicitly distributed setting requires failures to be dealt with. A
producer is not be able to tell the difference between a consumer that
(silently) refuses to re-direct and a network error (loss of reply
carrying redirect URL).

Regards,
Andre

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Freedman [mailto:michael.freedman@oracle.com]
Sent: 18 August 2005 18:55
To: sleland@notesdev.ibm.com
Cc: wsrp@lists.oasis-open.org

PBI isn't optional from either the producer or the consumer
perspective.  Supporting events is optional from the consumer
perspective.  The producer must provide a signature for HandleEvents but

can ignore any submissions.

On your second point given technology we can't say its true that a
HandleEvents would never need/want to do a redirect.  My points however
say that given the current limited semantics of redirect that in a
loosely coupled coordination environment such a redirect has ambiguous
meaning which if we leave open ended for the consumer to disambiguate
leads to a situation where the consumer can operate the producer in an
indeterminate state -- which I further go on to say is bad/wrong.  In
the tightly couple coordination environment where I believe its less
ambiguous/more useful to redirect, I point out that the constituents of
the coordination can rely on their tight coupling [i.e. they can use the

event system itself] to send such redirects.