Subject: Re: [wsrp] ExtensionDescription

Andre Kramer wrote:
> My fundamental concerns are totally with regards to the definition of
> extensions that are outside the scope of WSRP. These, as I understand
> it, are to be carried in <extensions> elements containing an “any” value
> and for reason of future evolution and extensibility should be left open
> and not described in our protocol IMHO.

This is my concern as well.

The key use case here is to carry some to carry data of unknown type of
a feature described in the spec. In prior discussions, we seem to be
mixing up "data of unknown type" with extensions. To me, these are two
different things.

For this kind of data, we already have the property mechanism, and
custom profile items can easily be mapped to properties.

So, my proposal would be to add a field to the UserContext.

<complexType name="UserContext">
   <sequence>
     <element name="userContextKey" type="xsd:string"/>
     <element name="userCategories" type="xsd:string"
              minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="unbounded"/>
     <element name="profile"
             type="types:UserProfile" minOccurs="0"/>
     <element name="customUserProfileItems"
             type="types:CustomUserProfileItem"
             minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="unbounded"/>
     <element name="extensions" type="types:Extension"
             minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="unbounded"/>
   </sequence>
</complexType>

In this proposal, I am intentially ignoring the question of "extending
UserProfile" at each level. That approach seems to be muddying the
waters further, and does not map very well at the conceptual level either.