Subject: Re: [wsrp] Schema types for ScopedPropertyDescription

I think there are a couple of issues here. The name becomes the name of the xml element when the event flows on the wire. The type describes the type of this element. For your example, this results in an xml structure of the form:

<ns1:expiryDate>2006-09-10T12:00:00-05:00</ns1:expiryDate>

(for those not familiar with the dateTime format, this represents 12:00 EST on Sept. 10, 2006)

Rich

Subbu Allamaraju <subbu@bea.com>

12/14/05 02:34 PM

wsrp <wsrp@lists.oasis-open.org>
[wsrp] Schema types for ScopedPropertyDescription

On page 26 of draft 12, there is some language around usage of the name
and type elements. I have some comments on the current language.

1. name: The conformance statement reads that the name "MUST have a
non-zero length. But this statement is redundant since "" is not a valid
QName.

2. type: There is a statement reading

"We would encourage these to be either from the set of schema defined
types or be explicitly ...".

This means that the following would be a valid description of a scoped
property.

<urn:transientPropertyDescriptions>
  <urn:name>ns1:expiryDate</urn:name>
  <urn:type>xs:dateTime</urn:type>
</urn:transientPropertyDescriptions>

To carry such a scoped property, the sender will have to construct some
xml like

<urn:transientProperty name="ns1:expiryDate">
   <xs:dateTime>2005-12-31</xs:dateTime>
</urn:transientProperty>

But this is invalid since there is no such element named dateTime.

So, unless I'm mistaken, we can't make a recommendation to use schema
types. The only exception is the "xs:string" type, since strings can be
carried via the stringValue element.

BTW, the primer has such an invalid XML, and needs to be fixed.

Any comments? Am I missing something?