Subject: Re: [wsrp] Clearification: Resource URLs and markup params, etc.

Subbu Allamaraju wrote:
> Stefan Hepper wrote:
>> I've some questions regarding the resource URLs. From the current
>> version of the spec it is not clear to me how getResource and
>> getMarkup relate to each other.
>> - What happens if I specific new nav params, new portlet mode / window
>> state on the resource URL? Will they be valid for the next getMarkup
>> call?
>
> Should they be? I think the semantics are the same as that of a render URL.

Depends if we say that getResource and getMarkup are related or not. I
think they they should be related and that there should be only one set
of portlet mode, window state, nav params, per POP. I also think that we
should not allow a resource URL to change this state, that doesn't make
sense to me.

>> - What are the semantics for portlet mode and window state when
>> rendering a resource? What portlet mode and window state will the
>> portlet receive if nothing is specified?
>
> I would assume that this is up to the resource handler or the producer
> or portlet.

You mean that the result may be different per mode or window state? I
can see use cases for this, but think that the spec should state that
the getResource calls gets the current portlet mode and window state.

>> - Can you specify navigational state on a resource URL? (yes I assume
>> based on the current spec)
>
> Yes
>
>> - Why can the getResource call create a new session?
>
> It might, if the consumer does not include the current sessionID.

Why would a getResource call need to create a session? What would be the
use case?

> Could you elaborate on why you think getResource and getMarkup are not
> related. As far as the context provided by the consumer is concerned,
> they are similar. The only difference is on the semantics of the response.

When reading the spec again I could not find a sentence saying that they
are related. I think this needs to be clarified.

Another thing I noted is that the getResource operation is allowed to
change the portlet title. I think that does not really make sense. What
is the use case for allowing to change the title in getResource?

Stefan