Subject: Re: [wsrp] Ajax - event source

Browsers are free to reuse event objects once processing the event ends, so it would not be save to try and pass it to the callback function. The proposal was to pass the element in the DOM which caused the original event to the callback function. There should be some well-defined semantics for when the Consumer script does not have such an element ... probably passing null to the callback script.

Unless we pass such a pointer, the only chance the portlet has to connect back to the cause of the interaction is to have a script of its own also execute. I see no reason to require this ....

By the way, the easy cross-browser technique for doing this is to always pass a param named event to the eventHandler. In IE this will reference the global event object and in FF it will reference the dynamic one. I haven't tested it, but would guess it would work in other browsers as well. I think the only time IE's global event object doesn't have a value is when a script is called asynchronously (e.g. XHR or from a timer). In FF, I think it only has a value when it is explicitly passed from the initial event handler. The difference is not something the Consumer can help, but that just raises the need to define what will be passed if the Consumer script does know what element sourced the event.

Another interesting thought about useful things to supply the callback function ... wouldn't a pointer to the Portlet's subtree within the DOM be useful? This would remove a requirement for a namspaced id attribute ...

Rich

Subbu Allamaraju <subbu@bea.com>

05/09/06 02:39 PM

wsrp@lists.oasis-open.org
[wsrp] Ajax - event source

At the F2F, it was suggested that the callback function receive the
source of the event so that the callback would know what caused the
submission.

In IE, "event" is a global object, and the consumer function can get
event.srcElement and pass it to the callback.

But, in Firefox/mozilla browsers, event is not global, and to get the
event, event handler function must explicitly have the event argument,
from which it can extract event.target.

To make this work across browsers, the consumer supplied function will
have to include an event arg which may or may not make sense depending
on where the URL is used. For instance, what is the event source when a
URL is used in an inline script? The document itself?

Two questions:

1. Do you see any implementation issues if we require that the consumer
to (optionally?) pass on the event source to the callback?

2. Is there a need for the event source? Since the portlet knows the
context in which the URL is being used, it can get the source from the
document.

Thanks for any comments.

Notice:  This email message, together with any attachments, may contain
information  of  BEA Systems,  Inc.,  its subsidiaries  and  affiliated
entities,  that may be confidential,  proprietary,  copyrighted  and/or
by email and then delete it.