Subject: Re: [wsrp] SessionProperties and new producers/temp unavailable producers

Could these be combined into the following single scenario? (i.e. I don't think the details of why sessions come and go at different points is the relevant issue)

A page has three portlets (A, B & C) on it which all declare a session property named "{http://www.example.com}zip". The Consumer has a default zip for the user stored which it wishes to use to initialize this property for all three portlets. The session status proceeds as follows:
1. On the first set of gm() calls, Portlet A establishes a session and returns a sessionID
2. Upon a user interaction, Portlet B establishes a session and returns a sessionID
3. On another user interaction, Portlet C establishes a session and returns a sessionID
4. On a page refresh, Portlet A determines its session timed out and so it creates a new session and returns a different sessionID

The user will expect the page to reflect the same zip for all three portlet's markup on each page refresh ...

I think what this means is that the Consumer sends its zip to all three Portlets in step 1, to B&C in step 2, to C in step 3 and in step 4 reinvokes gm() supplying the zip before aggregating Portlet A's markup into the page.

If everyone agrees this would be the preferred scenario, the next question is what additional statements are need in the spec and in the primer to make it all clear.

Rich

Stefan Hepper <sthepper@hursley.ibm.com>

05/24/06 09:34 AM

WSRP TC <wsrp@lists.oasis-open.org>
[wsrp] SessionProperties and new producers/temp unavailable producers

Hi,
I think we need to clarify and describe in the spec how the following
two cases are handled:

1. adding a new producer to an existing shared session
- portlet A1 on prod A and portlet B1 on prod B currently share the
session property zip with the value 71088
- the user add a new portlet to the page from prod C, portlet C1
- C1 also defines zip as a shared property
- the user expects that C1 would get the zip=71088 from the consumer

2. prod currently not available
- portlets A1, B1, C1 share the session property zip with the current
value zip=71088
- user sets zip = 43210
- producer C is currently not available when the producer distributes
the new zip value
- consumer renders the new markup of portlet A1, B1 and a temp not avail
msg for C1
- in a next render req producer C is available again
- the user would expect that C1 would now get the zip=43210 value and
render the content for that new zip code

I think if these two use cases are not supported the session paradigm
will look broken for the end user. It will also be a different behavior
than in implementations that are session based, like JSR 286.

It seems to me that we need to require that the consumer stores these
properties in order to support 1. It should not be that when I add
portlet C1 to my page C1 starts a new session, returns the default value
for the zip code and the consumer sends this as update to A1 and B1,
which seems to me the current behavior from my reading of the spec.

Comments?

Stefan