Subject: Re: [wsrp] Comment on Sec 5.1.21 Extension Part

The previous discussions of this concluded that we did not want to specifically indicate where in a message hierarchy a particular extension could occur, rather it is simply indicating what type could (note; could and not will!) be extended. My impression is that the common misunderstanding about this arises from interpreting 'location' to mean a place within the message structure and hence proposed renaming the field 'extendedTypes' as this would more accurately carry the semantics of the field.

If you are instead trying to reopen the discussion about the semantics of the field such that it would point at places within the message structure, please make sure you have new arguments for why this would be a preferred solution ...

Rich

Subbu Allamaraju <subbu@bea.com>

05/24/06 02:49 PM

wsrp <wsrp@lists.oasis-open.org>
Re: [wsrp] Comment on Sec 5.1.21 Extension Part

I don't think that will help.

Let's take the example. What does it mean to say that "an extension
providing additional contact information might list "Contact" as a
location". What is "Contact"? The local name of a type declared in WSRP
2.0 XSD? These are the questions a reader will have. It gets tricky when
there are multiple elements of the same type in a given structure.

Since there is a thought of utilizing extension descriptions to specify
new features in future, we need to explain this more.

Subbu