Subject: Re: [wsrp] public review comment: public navigational params: how to removeand behavior for urls

Section 6.1.12 says
"While Consumer policy will govern when values from sources other than the Portlet update the publicValues, Consumers MUST apply Portlet supplied values (i.e. supplied on a portlet url parameter or on a response from performBlockingInteraction or handleEvents) to the publicValues and SHOULD supply the same value to Portlets which provide a navigationalParameterDescription referencing the same QName in the names array."

This does require that the portlet supplied values are applied to the publicValues portion of NavigationalContext. It doesn't quite require that values from a url be applied "last" such that the portlet definitely receives those values. I am not sure that would be a good requirement to make though adding language encouraging such of implementations might make sense.

As to how publicValues are cleared, section 10.2.1.3 says "A parameter without a value specifies that the parameter's value is to be cleared.". This should be repeated in section 6.1.12, though I agree with what I sense is your general comment that we should think cleanly though the model again and then make sure we describe it well (fully in one place would be a good idea!).

My understanding of the publicValues model is that the Portlet sets its full navigational context on urls (though this contradicts the first sentence of 10.2.1.3!) and in any UpdateResponse. It is always possible that the Consumer has values from other sources which it will overlay onto the Portlet supplied values, but that is the nature of having shared parameters. In the end, what the Portlet receives as a set of publicValues is what the Consumer

Rich

Stefan Hepper <sthepper@hursley.ibm.com>

06/20/06 04:45 AM

WSRP TC <wsrp@lists.oasis-open.org>
[wsrp] public review comment: public navigational params: how to remove and behavior for urls

Hi,
I've the following questions in regard to public navigational parameters:

1. which public navigational parameters are supplied when the user
clicks on a URL?
currently the spec states:
- 10.2.1.3: "The value of this portlet URL parameter defines updates to
the publicValues portion of the Portlet's navigational state "
- 6.1.13: "The public portion of navigational state could be set by the
Consumer even if not supplied by the Portlet."

Does that mean that the portlet will get the cross product of the
updates defined in the URL and all other navigational state values that
the portlet has defined as supported and for which the consumer has some
values?
I.e. if the portlet does not get a public nav param, does this mean that
this param was removed by some portlet?
Or is the behavior completely non-deterministic and you may or may not
get some or all of the public nav params?

2. How can a portlet declare that a nav param should be removed?

Stefan