Subject: RE: [wsrp] Public Review comment: encoding in entity character refs

I agree with Richard. I think the rewriter code could get very inefficient
if made to support all these different nuances. Where to start and where to
stop is the big question as Richard asks.

Mike Caffyn
NetUnity Software
http://www.netunitysoftware.com
Phone: 757-744-0148

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard Jacob [mailto:richard.jacob@de.ibm.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 19, 2006 9:19 AM
To: Michael Freedman
Cc: wsrp

I have another question here:
It seems that the framework URL escapes the ";" character with %3B but not
the "&" character.
This seems very strange for me. I would expect that if the rewrite
expression gets escaped then it should be %26amp%3B.
I think we wanted to add this we need to specify a crisper rule.
What about the the "=" in wsrp-URLtype= and the "?" as param start token?

It seems that the you are describing the URL escaping is quite ambitious.
Where to start and where to stop?
I would expect that if the framework gets an WSRP rewrite expression and
URL escapes it then it should URL espace everything?

Mit freundlichen Gruessen / best regards,

        Richard Jacob
IBM Lab Boeblingen, Germany
Dept.8288, WebSphere Portal Server Development
WSRP Technical Lead
WSRP Standardization
Phone: ++49 7031 16-3469  -  Fax: ++49 7031 16-4888
Email: mailto:richard.jacob@de.ibm.com

             Michael Freedman
             <michael.freedman
             @oracle.com>                                               To
                                       wsrp <wsrp@lists.oasis-open.org>
             06/28/06 12:14 AM                                          cc

                                                                   Subject
                                       [wsrp] Public Review comment:
                                       encoding in entity character refs

Section 10.2.1 states:
Consumers MUST accept both the "&" character and the corresponding
entity reference (i.e. "&amp;") as separators between the name/value
pairs as this allows Portlets to produce markup fragments valid for a
larger range of mime types. We encourage Portlets to use the entity
reference form ("&amp;") in static markup as this is likely to result in
the ability to include that markup in a larger set of enclosing mime types.

An issue has come up concerning client code that has been over ambitious
and URL encoded the ; of the &amp; -- i.e. it emits &amp%3b.  As the use
in this case isn't reserved by HTML urls (though ; is a reserved
character) should consumers treat &amp%3b as equivalent to &amp;?  It
appears that browser do so.

OASIS
at: