Subject: Interfaces discussion related getResource/navState

 Have updated the wiki replying to Rich's comment on how a portlet can
deal with maintaining navState in session.  This part of the discussion
is what I currently see as the main sticking point to accepting the
proposed solution that navState remain constant during getResource
calls.  As some of the discussion on the wiki is back and forth here is
asummary of the issue.

A portlet uses getResource to either in part or as a whole render the
portlet.  Some of these resource requests impact portlet state.  Portlet
state (as with the proposed solution) must be maintained in a portlet
session.  The portlet wants to use this current portlet state to render
via subsequent getResource calls and/or subsequent getMarkup calls (in
the case the page is refreshed or the user interacts with another
portlet on the page and the consumer decides to rerender everything on
the page).  However, the portlet doesn't want to use this state if the
user is coming into the page (again) via a bookmark.  Likewise it
doesn't want to use this state if the consumer policy is that page
navigation (from/back to this page) should revert the page to its
default/original state.

The issue is how does the portlet detect whether a given getMarkup (or
getResource) request is in the current page lifecycle or not?  We
discussed this lifecycle issue sometime back and decided the lifecycle
really corresponded to an action lifecycle.  I.e. a new lifecycle begins
when an action occurs and last until either the next action or the
consumer policy decides that a certain navigation creates a new
lifecycle (i.e. selecting a bookmark, navigate from/to the page).  In
the end we decided not to formailze this lifecycle in the spec because
we felt the producer/portlet could easily manage its own notion which
corresponded to this.  However the mechanism relied on encoding info in
the navState.  Hence the issue with getResource -- for if its precluded
from using navState it must either resort an obscure and maybe not even
valid manipulation via client side javascript (Rich's suggestion).  The
issues for me are:
1) Is there a technical solution so the portlet can implement its own
notion of lifecycle?
2) If there is, how obscure/feasible is it?
3) What would the spec need to do to directly support a notion of
lifecycle and what burden would this place on the consumer?
4) Which is better (2) or (3)?

As for what we could do in the spec, I wonder if we can get away with
asking the consumer to send an actionLifecyleId in all requests and
define a reserved value to mean the initial/default lifecycle.