Subject: Re: [wsrp] Public review comment: allowing the portlet to receive newevents

well, yes.
We disscussed it a while ago and tried to define a
"ServiceDescriptionChanged" event which would signal the consumer to pick
up the SD.
Because of the polling nature we retained.
But on the other hand we have the "ping" event in the current
TransientProperties proposal which has quite a similar trigger for the
Consumer.

Mit freundlichen Gruessen / best regards,

        Richard Jacob
IBM Lab Boeblingen, Germany
Dept.8288, WebSphere Portal Server Development
WSRP Technical Lead
WSRP Standardization
Phone: ++49 7031 16-3469  -  Fax: ++49 7031 16-4888
Email: mailto:richard.jacob@de.ibm.com

             Subbu Allamaraju
             <subbu@bea.com>
             07/25/06 03:39 PM         WSRP TC <wsrp@lists.oasis-open.org>

                                       Re: [wsrp] Public review comment:
                                       allowing the portlet to receive new
                                       events

Another way to look at this use case is metadata change. In the example
below, the portlet could indicate that its metadata changed, which would
then trigger the consumer to re-fetch the PortletDescription for any
updates including events, public nav params etc.

Subbu

Stefan Hepper wrote:
> The current WSRP draft has an asymmetry for events that are not declared
> in the portlet description:
> It can publish new events at runtime by just returning the new event,
> but it cannot register itself for receiving new events at runtime.
>
> Use case:
> A generic Atom feed portlet that wants to publish specific events based
> on the feed. E.g. if it points to a feed that provides new published
> books it would like to publish an event with author name and book title
> for the current selected book entry.
>
> Proposal:
> In PortletContext add
> [O] EventDescription handledEvents[]
> [O] QName unhandledEvents[]
>
> Handled events will be treated as events that the portlet accepts to
> handle form this point on. Unhandled (better name suggestions?) events
> are events that the portlet no longer handles. If unhandled events are
> sent to the portlet they will be ignored.
>
> Stefan

> OASIS
> at:

by email and then delete it.