Subject: Re: [wsrp] Interfaces discussion related getResource/navState

Rich Thompson wrote:

> If you are objecting to is the Portlet not generating markup when
> processing a gm() request, I would ask how you see that changing the
> overall requirements. I expect there to be quite a few portlets (easily
> outnumbering the 'bridge' portlets envisioned in the use case on the
> wiki) over the next year or so which serve their initial markup on the
> first gm() response and then use gR() for fetching subsequent markup.
> The issues such portlets will encounter related to page refresh or
> bookmarking are no different than the use case Mike outlined.

Right. But what I'm not convinced is that this would be a general
purpose rendering model for portlet. I'm fine with the discussion as
long we draw a line between these two. I'm afraid that we're broadening
the scope of the problem at this late stage.

> Key points I have taken from the discussion:
>
> 1. NavState should not be altered due to a resource URL activation to
> maintain consistency within the protocol.
> 2. A wsrp-resourceState portlet URL parameter will be needed so that
> Portlets can pass state unique to the URL.
> 3. Portlets will need to manage the delta to their navState themselves
> using either resourceState or session state
> 4. The protocol today allows the portlet to assign an identifier within
> their navState for use in managing the delta of #3, but this would
> require rendering the page multiple times (initial load + once per
> portlet using the technique). A consumer managed ID proposal might be
> more efficient, but needs work in order to arrive at a consensus.
> 5. Bookmarkability issues will require at least metadata informing the
> Consumer that the Portlet manages such a navState delta. It may also
> require a well-defined event for generating a bookmarkable Consumer url.
>
> Considering where we are in the overall process, the key question we
> need to be addressing is what PR comments should be generated due to our
> understanding and progress. I don't think the comment needs to include
> the solution to #4, but perhaps multiple proposals for solving it could
> be outlined (much like was done for the session property proposal) as a
> means of driving toward a solution.

I agree with your analysis as far as the problem areas are concerned.
But I don't see the TC reaching a consensus on solution(s) within the
WSRP 2.0 timeframe on issues (4) and (5).

Subbu