Subject: Re: [wsrp] Describing TC-defined extensions

I agree about proprietary extensions point. Given that QName describes
syntax and semantics for TC-approved extensions, producers and consumers
can use the QName to derive both. So, my take is that producers should
just describe the name, type, and schema location, but not the types in
the ExtensionPart. Consumers that support that extension will most
likely ignore the types anyway, and consumers that don't have to refer
to the extension spec for more info.

What do others think?

Subbu

Rich Thompson wrote:

> Since the QName describes both the syntax (types) and semantics of the
> extension, I don't see how it could be valid for a Producer to
> "overload" or reuse a QName for a proprietary extension. Even if the
> intent is to simply extend the types to send additional data, a new
> QName should be defined. For such cases, it is straightforward to say
> that both the base and extended QNames are supported.
>
> Rich
>

> *Subbu Allamaraju <subbu@bea.com>*
>
> 11/14/2006 11:15 PM

> 	OASIS WSRP TC <wsrp@lists.oasis-open.org>
> cc
>
> Subject
> 	[wsrp] Describing TC-defined extensions
>

> As we are working on extensions, one question to address is whether
> there is a need for Producers to describe all the types used for these
> well-known extensions beyond saying that it supports the extension by
> the QName.
>
> I'm bringing up this question since the TC is defining QNames for these
> extensions, and consumers supporting the extension should have no
> trouble understanding the types used for that extension. The only
> exception I see is when a producer is overloading the extension QName
> for its own proprietary extensions.
>
> Subbu
> by email and then delete it.

by email and then delete it.