Subject: Re: [wsrp-interfaces] Re: [wsrp] Re: [wsrp-interfaces] Re: [wsrp] Enablecaching of resource content on the client

So what is the equivalence statement you made before?
This seems broken to me.
Are we then saying something like, "resources can now receive portlet
context via our brand new gR operation to enable the nice use cases you
always wanted but if you want them to perform, forget it and use the old
method"!

Mit freundlichen Gruessen / best regards,

        Richard Jacob
IBM Lab Boeblingen, Germany
Dept. 2289, WebSphere Portal Server Development 1
WSRP Team Lead
WSRP Architecture & Standardization
Phone: ++49 7031 16-3469  -  Fax: ++49 7031 16-4888
Email: mailto:richard.jacob@de.ibm.com

             Michael Freedman
             <michael.freedman
             @oracle.com>                                               To
                                       Richard Jacob/Germany/IBM@IBMDE
             02/15/07 09:24 PM                                          cc
                                       WSRP TC
                                       <wsrp@lists.oasis-open.org>,
                                       wsrp-interfaces@lists.oasis-open.or
                                       Re: [wsrp-interfaces] Re: [wsrp]
                                       Re: [wsrp-interfaces] Re: [wsrp]
                                       Enable caching of resource content
                                       on the client

See my reply to Stefan's e-mail.  I agree with you its something that needs
to be looked at beyond 2.0 but don't think it should be addressed in 2.0 as
the portlet has the option of using http proxying.
   -Mike-

Richard Jacob wrote:
      ok, if this is the case, we really need to look into the caching
      issue.
      For efficient client side rendering using gR it seems to be crucial
      for me
      that the responses are cacheable by the infrastructure.

      Mit freundlichen Gruessen / best regards,

              Richard Jacob
      IBM Lab Boeblingen, Germany
      Dept. 2289, WebSphere Portal Server Development 1
      WSRP Team Lead
      WSRP Architecture & Standardization
      Phone: ++49 7031 16-3469  -  Fax: ++49 7031 16-4888
      Email: mailto:richard.jacob@de.ibm.com

                   Michael Freedman

                   <michael.freedman

                   @oracle.com>

      wsrp-interfaces@lists.oasis-open.or
                   02/15/07 08:25 PM         g, WSRP TC

                                             <wsrp@lists.oasis-open.org>

                                             [wsrp] Re: [wsrp-interfaces]
      Re:
                                             [wsrp] Enable caching of
      resource
                                             content on the client

      I am opposed to dropping support for using portletURLs in a resource
      response as I expect our XPR/full-protocol Ajax support to be too
      cumbersome for many Ajax use cases.  I.e. most portlet use cases
      solved
      with WSRP 1.0.
           -Mike-

      Richard Jacob wrote:

            I think option 1 excludes the most common use case where e.g.
            JS libs, CSS
            classes, etc. are loaded. We should still be optimized for a
            caching
            infrastructure and offload a) the producer and b) the consumer
            itself.
            I dont see why we should weaken that and provide a solution
            that from a
            plain infrastructure and performance viewpoint is worse than
            1.0.
            I think the caching use cases are important enough to cleanly
            support

      them.

            Alternative 2 sounds feasible, in that case we would need to
            modify the
            EBNF of the resource URL.

            Another third solution I see is to drop the support for having
            portlet

      URLs

            in resources' markups.
            We talked today about the symmetrical behavior of gR and HTTP
            resource
            serving via the Consumer and the importance of having the same
            functionality for both.
            So enabling them in the one case while dissallowing them in the
            other

      seems

            inconsistent to me.

            What was the ability added for again? Afaik we tried to solve
            some Ajax

      use

            cases with it, right?
            On the other and we seem to say that a solution for Ajax won't
            be part of
            the 2.0 spec and we need to understand it more.
            So here again it would seem consistent to me that we dropped
            that
            capability and continue the Ajax discussion and add the
            necessary items
            post-2.0.

            Mit freundlichen Gruessen / best regards,

                   Richard Jacob
            IBM Lab Boeblingen, Germany
            Dept. 2289, WebSphere Portal Server Development 1
            WSRP Team Lead
            WSRP Architecture & Standardization
            Phone: ++49 7031 16-3469  -  Fax: ++49 7031 16-4888
            Email: mailto:richard.jacob@de.ibm.com

                        Stefan Hepper

                        <sthepper@hursley

                        .ibm.com>

                                                  WSRP TC
            <wsrp@lists.oasis-open.org>

                        02/15/07 04:30 PM

                                                  [wsrp] Enable caching of
            resource

                                                  content on the client

            As mentioned in one of the WSRP calls currently caching of
            content
            served through resource URLs on the client is basically not
            possible for
            resource that are served through gR.
            Reason for this is that the resource URL that the consumer
            produces
            needs to contain all nav state of all portlets on the page in
            order to
            allow the gR call triggered with the URL to produce markup that
            contains
            WSRP URLs again. This means that the URL will likely change for
            each
            request and there will always be a cache miss on the client.
            So basically there are two different use cases:
            1. render a resource that contains no or only resource WSRP
            tokens
            2. render a resource that may contain any WSRP URL token

            Solutions I see:
            1. say that the requiresRewrite is used to distinguish between
            these two
            different use cases
            drawbacks: excludes use cases that only use namespacing or
            resouce URLs
            and would normally be cachable

            2. introduce a new attribute wsrp-markupContainsPortletURLs to
            distinguish between these two use cases
            drawback: needs a spec change

            If we decide to open the spec for fixing gR I would opt for 2.
            if not
            stick with a clarification to allow 1.

            Comments?

            Stefan