Subject: Patents

Here is the EU patent application/information cited by WebCollage:
http://www.wipo.int/pctdb/en/fetch.jsp?DISP=25&IDB=0&SORT=1181023-KEY&LANG=ENG&LANGUAGE=ENG&SERVER_TYPE=19&FORM=SEP-0%2FHITNUM%2CB-ENG%2CDP%2CMC%2CPA%2CABSUM-ENG&IA=IL2001000337&TOTAL=1&C=0&SEARCH_IA=IL2001000337&START=1&QUERY=WebCollage&DBSELECT=PCT&TYPE_FIELD=256&RESULT=1&IDOC=478325&DISPLAY=STATUS

Note:  see in the Documents tab for a reference to and copies of two US
patent filings which this one references.

Here is a recently filed US application:
http://patft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsrchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=6865593.PN.&OS=PN/6865593&RS=PN/6865593

Here is a WebCollage US patent that has been granted:
http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-adv.html&r=1&p=1&f=G&l=50&d=PG01&S1=webcollage.AS.&OS=an/webcollage&RS=AN/webcollage

For those of you whose companies continue to have concerns about
WebCollage's IPR claims, I encourage you to review the EU patent
application cited by the wsrp 1.0 IPR statement (the first one above).
I also encourage you to have your legal department evaluate whether this
patent applies to WSRP.  I am no legal expert but this application seems
to apply for a patent defining a process where a service component is
embeded in a host page by [URL] reference that is resolved/executed by
the client.  I.e. it may not cover the case where the host
aggragates/constructs the page including remote components prior to
returning this to the client.  It interesting to note that the more
recently filed US application cited above doesn't seem to suffer from
this deficiency.  It seems to more broadly cover direct
consumer/producer communication.

Anyway, I offer this information/references hoping that a way to work
around the logjam of interacting with WebCollage is by getting each of
our legal departments comfortable that either the IPR cited in
referenced application isn't applicable or that its so general in that
it impacts all portal implementations where part of the portal content
is not constructed locally as to therefore change the nature of the
question/issue.