Subject: Re: [wsrp] Re: [wsrp-interfaces] resource cachability - templates

we do URL rewriting for several reasons but intended to prototype
templating in future.
Parsing the templates vs. rewriting the complete markup should matter and
give a performance improvement especially when caching of templates
(xxxStoredInSession) is used.

However I'm not aware of other implementation using templates, or are there
any?

Mit freundlichen Gruessen / best regards,

        Richard Jacob
IBM Lab Boeblingen, Germany
Dept. 2289, WebSphere Portal Server Development 1
WSRP Team Lead
WSRP Architecture & Standardization
Phone: ++49 7031 16-3469  -  Fax: ++49 7031 16-4888

IBM Deutschland Entwicklung GmbH
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Johann Weihen
Geschäftsführung: Herbert Kircher
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Böblingen

             Rich Thompson
             <richt2@us.ibm.co
                                       wsrp@lists.oasis-open.org
             03/15/07 12:22 PM                                          cc

                                                                   Subject
                                       [wsrp] Re: [wsrp-interfaces]
                                       resource cachability - templates

The current proposal does explicitly say that the enhanced caching only
applies with Consumer rewriting. My motivation for proposing it in that
manner was keeping it simple. I do agree that it would be more complete to
add 4 more templates ...

The alternative to adding the templates would be for the Producer which is
using the supplied templates to write a Consumer rewriting URL when a
portlet specifies "full" or "portlet" such that the additional caching
benefit can still be realized. One question this would raise for me is
whether is nullifies the intended benefit of using templates. In
particular, during Consumer URL rewriting, what does the split between
parsing and rewriting activity look like? Anyone done measurements or
otherwise have a reasonable sense on this?

Rich

 Richard Jacob
 <richard.jacob@de.ibm.com>

 03/15/2007 07:05 AM                    wsrp@lists.oasis-open.org,
                                        wsrp-interfaces@lists.oasis-open.o
                                        rg

                                        [wsrp-interfaces] resource
                                        cachability - templates

Aren't we asymetric with the current resource cachability proposal?
It seems that resource URL in templates would need to be always encoded in
the "page" mode.
To be consequent wouldn't we need a way to have all 3 flavours also be
handled as templates?
Either by having 3 templates structures or by merging the 3 flavour in one
template.