Subject: Re: [wsrp] Fw: [wsrp-comment] There is no way in the spec to retrieveregistration properties

Right. the Consumer has to register and thus most likely remember the
properties.
In an Consumer migration scenario the handle is migrated. If the Consumer
impl likes to migrate also the property I think it makes sense to let the
Consumer manage this.
Exposing registration properties might be an privacy issue.

Mit freundlichen Gruessen / best regards,

        Richard Jacob
IBM Lab Boeblingen, Germany
Dept. 2289, WebSphere Portal Server Development 1
WSRP Team Lead
WSRP Architecture & Standardization
Phone: ++49 7031 16-3469  -  Fax: ++49 7031 16-4888

IBM Deutschland Entwicklung GmbH
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Martin Jetter
Geschäftsführung: Herbert Kircher
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Böblingen

|------------>
| From:      |
|------------>
  |Rich Thompson <richt2@us.ibm.com>                                                                                                               |
  >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------>
| To:        |
|------------>
  |wsrp@lists.oasis-open.org                                                                                                                       |
  >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------>
| Date:      |
|------------>
  >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |09/20/2007 05:01 PM                                                                                                                             |
  >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------>
| Subject:   |
|------------>
  >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |[wsrp] Fw: [wsrp-comment] There is no way in the spec to retrieve registration properties                                                       |
  >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

We had talked briefly about this in the v1 timeframe. Between the security
issues and the need for the Consumer to remember the properties in many
cases anyway, we decided it was reasonable to always place the burden of
remembering them on the Consumer and therefore did not define means for
them to retrieved from the Producer.

Rich
----- Forwarded by Rich Thompson/Watson/IBM on 09/20/2007 10:58 AM -----

 Nathan E Lipke
 <nlipke@bea.com>
 09/12/2007 01:18 PM                                wsrp-comment@lists.oas
                                                    is-open.org

                                                    [wsrp-comment] There
                                                    is no way in the spec
                                                    to retrieve
                                                    registration
                                                    properties

    We have a couple of use-cases which require the current value of a
consumer's registration properties to be fetched by the consumer. This
is not currently possible in the WSRP 2.0 spec.

  1. During modifyRegistration present the user with a dialog box with
     registration properties in it.
        1. We would like to display the current property values, so the
           user can only change what's needed.
  2. We would like to be able to move a registration from one producer
     to another (e.g. staging to production)

We have thought of 2 ways to achieve this:

   * Add registrationProperties to the ServiceDescription type
         o Possibly add a boolean to getServiceDescription to determine
           when it is wanted
   * Add a new method to the Registration Interface to mirror the
     methods in the Portlet Management Interface
         o PropertyList getRegistrationProperties(registrationContext,
           UserContext, names)
         o Note: getRegistrationPropertyDescription(...) would not be
           needed as this information is available in the service
           description.

Thanks,

Nate

Notice:  This email message, together with any attachments, may contain
information  of  BEA Systems,  Inc.,  its subsidiaries  and  affiliated
entities,  that may be confidential,  proprietary,  copyrighted  and/or
legally privileged, and is intended solely for the use of the individual or
entity named in this message. If you are not the intended recipient, and
have received this message in error, please immediately return this by
email and then delete it.