Subject: Re: [wsrp] Clearing public navigational values using thewsrp-navigationalValues URL parameter

I think you are correct.
In J2EE implementations providing a URL like /somePath?a&b=&c=value results
in
m = ServletRequest.getParameterMap();
m.containsKey("a") = false
m.containsKey("b") = true
m.containsKey("c") = true

Therefor the deletion of an element in our navigationalValues
format/encoding should be ...&p2&...
whereas ...&p2=&... should result in p2 set to empty string.
Note that the specs don't define (at least I did't find a single indication
saying otherwise) whether in the p2= case the value for that parameter
should be null or an empty string.
I would expect application code to handle both cases as equivalent.

Mit freundlichen Gruessen / best regards,

        Richard Jacob
IBM Lab Boeblingen, Germany
Dept. 2289, WebSphere Portal Server Development 1
WSRP Team Lead
WSRP Architecture & Standardization
Phone: ++49 7031 16-3469  -  Fax: ++49 7031 16-4888

IBM Deutschland Entwicklung GmbH
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Martin Jetter
Geschäftsführung: Herbert Kircher
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Böblingen

|------------>
| From:      |
|------------>
  |Kevin Frender <kfrender@bea.com>                                                                                                                 |
  >-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------>
| To:        |
|------------>
  |wsrp@lists.oasis-open.org                                                                                                                        |
  >-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------>
| Date:      |
|------------>
  >-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |12/19/2007 10:45 PM                                                                                                                              |
  >-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------>
| Subject:   |
|------------>
  >-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |[wsrp] Clearing public navigational values using the wsrp-navigationalValues URL parameter                                                       |
  >-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

In section 9.2.1.3 describing the wsrp-navigationalValues URL parameter,
it is stated that "a navigationalParameter which appears on a particular
URL without a value defines the clearing of that parameter."  The
example given states that the following clears parameter "p2":

p1=value1&p1=value2&p2=

If I look at that example however, I would think that p2 is being
provided with the empty string as its value, which IMHO should be valid
and separate from providing no value, such as:

p1=value1&p1=value2&p2

In the NavigationalContext type, publicValues are of type NamedString,
which does allow specification of the empty string as a value distinct
from the null (unspecified) value.

Am I correct in assuming the example in section 9.2.1.3 is wrong, or am
I misunderstanding?

  Kevin

legally privileged, and is intended solely for the use of the individual or
entity named in this message. If you are not the intended recipient, and
have received this message in error, please immediately return this by
email and then delete it.