Subject: Re: [wsrp] Setting SessionContext.expires to zero

My bad ... Its as Rich has already said.  Its pretty nonsensical to return a sessionId and a sessionExpires of 0 as the later indicates to the consumer how long it needs to remember the former.  If a session expires and a new one has been started we expect the new one to be returned in the response.  FYI ... remember these are portlet sessions not cookie (http) sessions.  In the Java case the portlet session is managed as a piece of the http session and hence its duration is (typically) tied to that.
    -Mike-

Nader Oteifa wrote:

I agree with you on caching.  My question is regarding session and I’m probably beating a dead horse.  I just wanted to know if returning a session having a session expires of 0 had special meaning to the consumer.  I want to be clear on what options are possible if the producer has determined that the session has expired and the implications:

1)       Return the same session id with expires of zero – consumer does not use session in future calls

2)       Return a new session id with > zero expires – the normal case (I presume)

3)       Throw invalid session fault – causes consumer to repeat last WSRP operation without a session id.  I believe this is to force re-passing of templates once more if previously stated they were stored in session, etc.

Hopefully, these options for returning session and the implications are correct.

Nader

From: Michael Freedman [mailto:michael.freedman@oracle.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 19, 2008 11:22 AM
To: wsrp@lists.oasis-open.org

As further information, 0 is commonly the setting when one only wants validation level caching (checks).  I.e. return a 0 expires and an validation tag.
     -Mike-

Rich Thompson wrote:

We explicitly chose -1 for never expires such that 0 could have the normal meaning from a caching sense of already expired.

"Nader Oteifa" <nader2@netunitysoftware.com>

Rich Thompson/Watson/IBM@IBMUS, <wsrp@lists.oasis-open.org>

02/14/08 10:35 PM

[wsrp] Setting SessionContext.expires to zero

Rich,

How should setting SessionContext.expires to zero be interpreted by the consumer:  a) an expired session b) same as unspecified c) other?

Thanks

Nader