wss-dev message

Subject: RE: [wss-dev] SAML token and holder of key.

I am not sure if original suggestion of Vishal can be
interpreted as "Certificates will solve the problem".
Though to some extent it is true, you still have the
situation where, for whatever reason, MITM also has a
valid cert from the same issuer.

As you realized, the problem cannot also be solved by
signing the token - SubjectConfirmation or KeyInfo
element - as the MITM can do the same thing.

I think for your problem, an ideal solution is signing
followed by encryption. I am not familiar with the
SAML protocol, but in a web services world, that is
the approach.

On the aside - signatures in most implementations are,
ultimately, tied to an identity. So, you have the
knowledge of a certificate and you know to whom it
belongs. In such a case, signature alone (of data and
the token) will be good enough.

-rams

=== message truncated ===