wss-dev message

Subject: RE: [wss-dev] SAML token and holder of key.

Sorry for the late reply. Pls see below.
--- Giuseppe Sarno <gsarno@nortel.com> wrote:

> Hi the Certificate was the point I was trying to
> make,
> we need a Certificate to be sure (or so) that the
> assertion has not been tampered with.
> So the statement in the spec saying that holder of
> key is not vulnerable to MITM
> I think it'not strictly true unless the Assertion is
> signed using a certificate.
>
> encryption is a good approach but I think in this
> case you need some how to have the Key stored also
> on the Webservice provider which might introduce key
> management problems.
> Is this correct ?

Encryption is generally done using a combination of
sessionkey and public key. The data is encrypted with
the session key and the session key itself is
encrypted with the public key. The public key is that
of the recipient and the session key is uniquely
generated for every encryption operation. So, though
you have to "somehow" get the public key of the
recipient, once you have it you can use encryption.

So, in you case, MITM cannot decrypt the content and
create his own signature, unless they have the
recipient's private key.