wss message

Subject: RE: [wss] Comments on WSS-Core-01

OK, while I understand what is being said here, I still think that the
present wording explains this, so is there some proposed wording that folks
prefer ?

Anthony Nadalin | work 512.436.9568 | cell 512.289.4122

|         |           "Mishra, Prateek"|
|         |           <pmishra@netegrit|
|         |           y.com>           |
|         |           10/02/2002 10:43 |
  >----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                                                                              |
  |       To:       "'Hal Lockhart'" <hal.lockhart@entegrity.com>, "Mishra, Prateek" <pmishra@netegrity.com>, wss@lists.oasis-open.org           |
  |       cc:                                                                                                                                    |
  |       Subject:  RE: [wss] Comments on WSS-Core-01                                                                                            |
  |                                                                                                                                              |
  |                                                                                                                                              |
  >----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

[Prateek Mishra]

Hal,

thanks for your clarification which appear quite reasonable to me. However,
notice that the
original text refers only to <wsse:SecurityTokenReference> elements
combined with signatures.
Your clarification explains the more general case of combining tokens of
one sort or the other with
signatures in the <wss:Security> header. We should either generalize lines
733-735 or explain why combining <wsse:SecurityTokenReference>
with signatures has some additional special meaning.

 > (4) lines 733 - 735: I could not follow the point made here at all.

 To make this easier to follow, the lines in question are:

 ----
 733 When an XML Signature is used in conjunction with the
 <wsse:SecurityTokenReference>
 734 element, the security token of a message signer may be correlated and
 a mapping made
 735 between the claims of the security token and the message as evaluated
 by the application.
 ----

 I believe the intention is that if the application receiving the message
 trusts the the token, it is allowed to associate the claims in the token
 with the party that originated the signed message. However, the specific
 semantics applied depend implicitly on both the nature of the claims and
 the specific application (and hence the contents of the message). They are
 not explicitly indicated by the contents of the security header.

 Common cases would be:

 1. The message is some type of request and the claims describe the party
 making the request.

 2. The information in the message is asserted to be correct by the party
 described by the claims.

 3. The party described by the claims agrees to the contractual terms
 represented in the message.

 4. The claims describe the policy for any use or distribution of the
 information in the message.

 However, these are surely not exhaustive.

 Hal