wss message

Subject: RE: [wss] Backcompat

I don't understand this. How WSS 1.1 spec can define the behavior of a
WSS 1.0 Receiver?

If the WSS 1.0 Receiver is already out in the field, how can you change
it with the behavior defined in WSS 1.1 spec?

If you can change the behavior, then why not just upgrade the receiver
to handle 1.1 instead?

Symon Chang
Sr. Security Architect
TIBCO Software Inc.

-----Original Message-----
From: Martin Gudgin [mailto:mgudgin@microsoft.com]
Sent: Monday, May 30, 2005 6:19 AM
To: WSS
Cc: Paul Cotton
Subject: [wss] Backcompat

Dear TC,

Paul and I took an action at the last meeting to draft something on
backward compatibility. Here it is...

Gudge

OASIS WSS 1.1 defines several new XML elements; SignatureConfirmation,
EncryptedHeader, Salt, Iteration. It also defines several new URIs;
http://docs.oasis-open.org/wss/2005/xx/oasis-2005xx-wss-soap-message-sec
urity-1.1#ThumbprintSHA1,
http://docs.oasis-open.org/wss/2005/xx/oasis-2005xx-wss-soap-message-sec
urity-1.1#EncryptedKey,
http://docs.oasis-open.org/wss/2005/xx/oasis-2005xx-wss-soap-message-103
3security-1.1#EncryptedKeySHA1,
http://docs.oasis-open.org/wss/2005/xx/oasis-2005xx-wss-soap-message-sec
urity-1.1#X509ThumbprintSHA1

All elements and URIs that already existed in OASIS WSS 1.0 are
unchanged.

Proposed behaviour;

WSS 1.0 receivers:

1.	Generate a soap:mustUnderstand fault if any xenc:EncryptedHeader
has soap:mustUnderstand='1'. This will happen per normal SOAP processing
rules.

2.	Generate a fault (wsse:InvalidSecurity) if
wsse11:SignatureConfirmation is found inside wsse:Security.

3.	Generate a fault (wsse:UnsupportedSecurityToken) if
http://docs.oasis-open.org/wss/2005/xx/oasis-2005xx-wss-soap-message-sec
urity-1.1#EncryptedKey is specified for
wsse:SecurityTokenReference/wsse:Reference/@ValueType.

4.	Generate a fault (wsse:UnsupportedSecurityToken) if
wsse:SecurityTokenReference/wsse:KeyIdentifier/@ValueType is
ttp://docs.oasis-open.org/wss/2005/xx/oasis-2005xx-wss-soap-message-secu
rity-1.1#ThumbprintSHA1,
http://docs.oasis-open.org/wss/2005/xx/oasis-2005xx-wss-soap-message-103
3security-1.1#EncryptedKeySHA1 or
http://docs.oasis-open.org/wss/2005/xx/oasis-2005xx-wss-soap-message-sec
urity-1.1#X509ThumbprintSHA1

5.	Generate a fault (wsse:UnsupportedSecurityToken) if wsse11:Salt
or wsse11:Iteration are found in wsse:UsernameToken.

I don't believe we need to say anything about 1.1 receivers.