Subject: Re: [xacml-comment] Target merging and matching

On 23 July, John Howard writes: [xacml-comment] Target merging and matching
 > I am trying to understand how the Target is computed and how
 > the computed Target is then matched.  It is difficult to
 > understand the intentions of the spec when combining targets.
 > Is it that the rules must have similar Targets if an overall
 > Target is to be computed.
 >
 > The issue can be summed up in the following example.
 >

 > I have a rule set of two rules.  One applies to a subject with
 > the role Nurse, the other applies to a subject with the role
 > Doctor.  So I have:
 >
 > RuleSet
 >     Rule (Rule1)
 >         Target
 >             Subjects
 >                 role=nurse
 >
 >     Rule (Rule2)
 >         Target
 >             Subjects
 >                 role=doctor
 >
 > If this is legal then there would be an overall target of:
 >
 > Target
 >     Subjects
 >         role=nurse
 >     Subjects
 >         role=doctor

Whether the Targets in the two rules can be merged to produce a
policy Target more precise than "*" (match any) depends on the
set of "MatchIdType" functions we eventually support.

draft-xacml-schema-policy-15i.xsd includes the
"non-null-set-intersection" function in "MatchIdType".  Using
this, you would express your merged Target as follows:

   <Target>
   <Subjects MatchId="function:non-null-set-intersection" DataType="xs:boolean">
       <AttributeDesignator
           Designator="//xacmlContext/Request/Subject
               /Attribute[@AttributeId="urn:XHospital:role"]"
           DataType="xs:listOfString"/>
       <Attribute DataType="xs:listOfString">
           "nurse" "doctor"
       </Attribute>
   </Subjects>

Does this help?

Anne
Sun Microsystems Laboratories
1 Network Drive,UBUR02-311     Tel: 781/442-0928
Burlington, MA 01803-0902 USA  Fax: 781/442-1692