Subject: Re: [xacml-comment] Target merging and matching

This helps in the case were there are two identical attributes, but you can
resolve that issue by simply allowing an OR, which is a lot easier to
program.  The real problem occurs when a target has multiple subjects or
resources as it appears to be impossible to retain that grouping after a
target merge.

The simplest solution from a programming perspective is to add a wrapping
node around the Subjects, Resources and Actions.

e.g.

Target
    Subjects (Subjects from rule 1)
        Subject
            role=nurse
        Subject
            otherAttr=otherValue
    Subjects (Subjects from rule 2)
        Subject
            role=doctor

Now you can simply check to see if one of the Subjects matches the request
Target, in which case you know that one of the rules applies.

There is an issue if there are multiple Subjects and multiple Resources, but
I wouldn't expect rules to be written this way.  You would think that an
administrator would group together all the rules for a particular resource,
or alternatively all the rules for a particular subject.

The potential problem with the MatchId is the complexity, from a programming
point of view, of computing a merge.  If you allow too much flexibility the
merge software becomes incredibly complex.

John.