Subject: Re: [xacml-comment] no rules or policies

I agree on this. But this whole section doesn't really make sense to me at
all. Neither do the tables. What is trying to be said here?  Furthermore,
these sections are riddled with mistakes like Not "Match" instead of
"No-match" and "None-applicable" instead of "Not-applicable".

These sections should say nothing more than the policy body is evaluated
according to its rule combining algorithm and the evaluation of its rules,
which is specified elsewhere.  The "truth" tables are wrong according to
any kind of policy combining algorithm. All of the combining algorithms
handle the case when there are no rules or policies.

So, I suggest the following rewording of both sections and remove the
tables.

7.6 Policy Evaluation

The value of a policy SHALL be determined only by its contents against the
access decision request. A policy's value SHALL be determined by the
evaluation of the policy's target and the evaluation of its rules
according to the specified rule combining algorithm.

The policy's target is evaluated to determine the applicability of the
policy. If the target evaluates to "Match" then value of the policy SHALL
be determined by evaluation of the policy's rules according to the
specified combining algorithm. If the target evaluates to "No-Match", then
the value of the policy shall be "Not-Applicable". If evaluation of the
target raises an "Indeterminate" the value of the policy SHALL be
"Indeterminate".

7.6 Policy Set Evaluation

The value of a policy set SHALL be determined by its contents against the
access decision request. A policy set's value is determined by the
evaluation of the policy set's target and the evaluation of its policies
and policy sets according to the specified policy combining algorithm.

The policy set's target is evaluated to determine the applicability of the
policy set. If the target evaluates to "Match" then value of the policy
set SHALL be determined by evaluation of the policy's policies and policy
sets according to the specified policy combining algorithm.  If the target
evaluates to "No-Match", then the value of the policy set shall be
"Not-Applicable". If evaluation of the target raises an "Indeterminate"
the value of the policy set SHALL be "Indeterminate".

Cheers,
-Polar