Subject: [xacml-comment] Re: [xacml] Errata errata (SubjectCategory comparison)

http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xacml-comment/200301/msg00034.html
>>   SubjectAttributeDesignatorType extends the match semantics of
>>   the AttributeDesignatorType such that it narrows the attribute
>>   search space to the specific categorized subject such that the
>>   value of this element's SubjectCategory attribute matches, by
>>   string-equality, the value of the <Request> element's subject
>>   category attribute.
>>
>>   I think "by string-equality" should be "by URI-equality"
>>   because the data type of the SubjectCategory attribute is "xs:anyURI".
>>
>>   Anne: Use of "string-equality" was intentional.  Once we
>>   eliminated QNames, we made it possible for the SubjectCategory
>>   attribute values to be compared as strings.  We chose to
>>   specify it that way since "string-equality" is simpler than
>>   "URI-equality".

Yes, it's simpler because the equality of two URIs is up to the scheme like
"http:" and "urn:".

However, I still think it should be "URI-equality".
We already have a lot of use of URIs, i.e, the attribute identifiers,
data type identifiers, function identifiers, combining algorithm
identifiers, status code, and so on.
They all should be compared by URI-equality (although it's implicit in the
XACML spec).
I see no reason why we handle only the subject category in such a special
way (by string-equal).

Satoshi Hada
IBM Tokyo Research Laboratory
mailto:satoshih@jp.ibm.com

                      Anne Anderson
                      <Anne.Anderson@Su        To:       XACML TC <xacml@lists.oasis-open.org>
                      n.com>                   cc:       XACML COMMENT <xacml-comment@lists.oasis-open.org>
                                               Subject:  [xacml] Errata errata
                      2003/02/07 02:18
                      Please respond to
                      Anne.Anderson

Thanks, Simon, for the concise and readable errata list!  This is
very helpful.  And thanks too, to Satoshi, who has picked up a
number of inconsistencies our tired eyes would never have noticed
at this point!

Following are my comments on both the errata list (attached to
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xacml/200302/msg00006.html)
and on the updated spec (in the same e-mail) that incorporated
them.

Typographical Errors.
=====================

Reported by: Satoshi Hada
Message:
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xacml-comment/200212/msg00061.html
  incorrect.
  http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#string.

  Anne: I agree with the Options, but the implementation of them
  in the updated spec does not seem right: Line 3413 in the
  updated spec seems OK, but line 3408 now has "xs:string" rather
  than the correct value
  "http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#string";.

Reported by: Satoshi Hada
Message:
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xacml-comment/200301/msg00007.html

  Anne: We can't refer to
  "http://www.w3.org/TR/xquery-operators/"; because that points to
  the most recent Working Draft, and so changes under us.

  I think the correct reference is
  "http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/WD-xquery-operators-20020816/";,
  since it was that snapshot of the Working Draft that we defined
  our operators and types against.  Someone check me on this,
  please.

  This should be made consistent throughout the document,
  including in the References section.

Reported by: Satoshi Hada
Message:
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xacml-comment/200301/msg00018.html
  following description just after the explanation about
  policy combining algorithms: "Obligations of the individual
  policies shall be combined as described in Section 3.3.2.3".
  However, Section 3.3.2.3 is about a policy rather than a set of
  policies.  So it should be Section 3.3.3.2 rather than 3.3.2.3.

  Anne: Section 3.3.3.2 does not describe how to combine
  obligations.  I recommend the section reference be to Section
  7.11 Obligations, where combining obligations is discussed.
  Tim, note that both 3.3.3.2 and 7.11 are titled "Obligations",
  so your reference may be picking up one rather than the
  intended other.

Reported by: Satoshi Hada
Message:
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xacml-comment/200301/msg00019.html

  Anne: I agree that the [XF] section reference is incorrect, and
  should be 6.3.15.  Note that this change MUST be made in
  conjunction with the "unchange" I recommend for
  http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xacml-comment/200301/msg00007.html
  (two errata above): there is no Section 6.3.15 in the current
  draft to which http://www.w3.org/TR/xquery-operators/ points!

[...]

  We could always change our minds, but this was intended at the
  time.

Final erratum on Obligations.

  Anne: This is clearly new functionality.  I agree that
  Obligations is underspecified, but I don't think we can make
  these fixes without changing the document in non-trivial ways.

  I recommend that IBM present us with a proposal for how Section
  7.11 should be augmented to cover these cases, and the TC can
  then discuss it for inclusion in the Errata document to be kept
  on the TC web site.

Anne Anderson
Sun Microsystems Laboratories
1 Network Drive,UBUR02-311     Tel: 781/442-0928
Burlington, MA 01803-0902 USA  Fax: 781/442-1692