Subject: Public Comment

Comment from: gerald.brose@xtradyne.com

Hi,

when determining the applicable policy, only the
policy target and the rules in the policies are
considered. I am currently trying to map policies
to XACML that have "lifetime" conditions on the
policy itself (such as as activation date and an
expiration date), which could be modeled a lot
simpler if the XACML model and syntax allowed me
to attach a condition to the policy element.

Without it, I need to include the common
activation/expiration date in every single rule of
that policy (unless I have overlooked a more
elegent design alternative).

It is of course arguable if this example alone
mandates a general extension of the base XACML
model, but there may also be cases where one would
want conditions on the policy computed (as the
OR-expression of the rule conditions). This makes
sense if there are common elements in the
conditions of all rules, which could then be
factored out.

My apologies if this case this has been discussed
at length on the TC list. Thanks for any
references on this issue.

Regards, Gerald Brose.
--
Dr. Gerald Brose        mailto:brose@xtradyne.com