Subject: Re: [xacml-comment] Public Comment

Hi Chen Zhao,

Chen Zhao wrote:
> I think it is not appropriate express Separation of Duty(SoD) using
> XACML. Separation of Duty means that the security administrator must
> not assign two (or more) mutually exclusive roles to one single user.
> And dynamic SoD means that one single user can activate two mutually
> exclusive roles in once session. Howerver, in the XACML Profile for
> RBAC, static SoD policy can not be expressed because XACML profile for
> RBAC can not control user role assignment. It said,

I think you meant to say that "dynamic SoD means that one single user
can NOT activate two mutually exclusive roles in one session."

The XACML Profile for RBAC does not handle user role assignment, but
XACML itself can be used to prevent the assignment of incompatible roles
by a Role Assignment Authority.  This is discussed in the profile.

The primary problem, as I see it, is that for the XACML model, the roles
a user needs to have must be known prior to evaluation of a policy.  In
the case of static role assignments, a Context Handler can simply
request all role attributes for the given user, and supply these as part
of the Request Context.  The Role Assignment Authority that made those
assignments in the first place could have used XACML to ensure that no
incompatible roles were assigned to the same user.  In the case of
dynamic role assignments, however, it is not until a request to access a
given resource is made that the role needed for that particular access
is known (in general).  The roles can't be assigned ahead of time,
because a single user might be authorized to hold either of two
incompatible roles, just not in the same session.

One solution for this, not completely thought out, is to use the XACML
Target elements to select only those policies that apply to a particular
resource and action, and to use the role attributes only in the
Condition part of a policy.  The Context Handler, when asked for the
value of a role Attribute, would submit a request to the Role Assignment
Authority for that specific role.  The Role Assignment Authority would
return the role if the user already has it for that session, and would
activate the role and return it is the user does not already have it and
it does not conflict with roles the user already has activated for the
current session.

Such interactions between a Context Handler, Role Assignment Authority,
and the "session" are outside the scope of XACML itself, but it would
certainly be possible to specify a model where this type of interaction
is done in a standard way.

Anne

--
Anne H. Anderson               Anne.Anderson@sun.com
Sun Microsystems Labs          1-781-442-0928