Subject: RE: [xacml-comment] Question on 'SAML 2.0 profile of XACML v2.0'

I am sorry, I was confused. I was thinking you were using the Decision Query.

I see now you are using the policy query. I agree that it is broken. Here is the history and where things stand.

The original idea I had was a PDP with storage too limited to hold all the policies. (Either because it had a small memory or because the number of policies is large.)

What I intended was for the policy repository to evaluate the target or part of the target and return a small number of policies that potentially applied. I thought this could be done using a simple indexing scheme without having to have an XACML engine.  Then the PDP would do a compete evaluation of the subset and return the result as usual.

Originally we specified a Target as a possible input, but somebody pointed out it is impossible to match targets. So the way it is now you can provide a request Context and the repository will do "some" processing and return some subset.

The only interest in this protocol had been from people who want a standard to distribute (provision) all policies or all policies for a particular PDP. I have pointed out that this protocol is not suitable for this purpose. I am currently working on a protocol (two actually) to distribute policies.

If you are interested in using the policy query, I encourage you to submit requirements and usecases.  Perhaps we can fix it.

Hal