Subject: Features for XACMLv3

Dear XACML WG

The EC FW7 TAS3 project (www.tas3.eu) is a user of the XACMLv2
specification. We note that it is missing a couple of features that we
will find useful, and wondered if they can be added to XACMLv3.

The missing features are as follows

i) the ability to make a "just checking" request to a PDP, for example
when preparing a workflow. Such requests allow checking whether
permissions are sufficient to perform a service call, without actually
performing the call. The reason why it is important for the PDP to know
that this is a "just checking" call rather than an access request call,
are several, including:
a) the PDP may be logging access requests and this should not be logged
as an access request in the audit trail
b) the PDP may support separation of duties or other state based access
control decision making. The "just checking" request should not change
the internal state of the PDP, whereas an access request could.
c) the PEP may or may not want obligations to be returned on a just
checking request, depending upon whether it checks the obligations as
well. If it does not, then it would improve performance to not return
the obligations.

ii) the ability for the PDP to return the set of attributes from the
request context that were used in the rule for the decision that was
returned. In previous messages I have given Erik the rationale for why
this is needed (e.g. a returned obligation performs some action based on
the role of the accessor, but the request context contained several
irrelevant roles that were not used in the decision making).

regards

David

David W. Chadwick, BSc PhD
The Computing Laboratory, University of Kent, Canterbury, CT2 7NF
Skype Name: davidwchadwick
Tel: +44 1227 82 3221
Fax +44 1227 762 811
Mobile: +44 77 96 44 7184