Subject: Re: [xacml-comment] just on little questions

On Fri, 2009-08-14 at 09:55 +0200, Jan Herrmann wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Just a one little question:
>

> In XACML v.3.0 examples (e.g. in the XACML 3.0 core and hierarchical
> RBAC profile line 241) you always open and close AnyOf elements after
> each indicidual match element. I don’t understand why this is done
> this way and as I saw it in various examples I wonder if it is done
> with some special purpose. From my point of view the same could be
> done with only one <AnyOf> element under target that has under its
> only AllOf child all the Match elements.

It a sort of leftover from XACML 2.0 (although I think it makes sense,
as I'll explain shortly).

The AnyOf elements in 2.0 where named Subjects, Resources, Actions and
Environments and would contain only Subject, Resource etc Matches.

Although it's possible in 3.0 to throw all Match elements under one
AnyOf/AllOf or make a DNF, I believe it's better to keep on doing as in
XACML 2.0 and separate Matches for different attribute categories under
different AnyOf elements. The performance hit is minimal (if any), and
managing/editing policies is greatly simplified if the Matches are
cleanly separated.

/Ludwig

--
Ludwig Seitz, PhD             |   Axiomatics AB
Training & Development        |   Electrum 223

This is a digitally signed message part