Subject: Re: [xacml-dev] Policy editor? Gui?

On Nov 10, 2004, at 10:31 PM, Kuketayev, Argyn wrote:
> Is anybody working on a open-source graphical policy editor ?
> Is there a business case for it?

This past summer I started work on a pretty powerful tool, but I
haven't been able to open source it yet (though I would very much like
to). I don't know about business cases, but there is definately real
demand for such tools.

> What would be the minimum set of features to make it useful?
> Should it be tailored for a particular implementation, such as SunXACML
> or could it be useful for any XACML policy?

I've been thinking about aspects of both. I think there are general
aspects that any tool could handle. Because SunXACML has some
configuration facilities, my tool tied those in. Maybe we should get an
interested group together to brainstorm?

FYI, there was an open source attempt (on sourceforge) to create an
XACML tool. This was started by a grad student at Virginia Tech with
whom I was working. He has since graduated, so I don't know the current
status of that tool.

> I've been thinking about editor ever since I had to write policies.
> It's
> very inconvinient to edit them in regular XML editor.

Yes. I started work on a tool mostly because I was sick of looking at
policies in emacs :)

seth