Subject: Re: [xacml-dev] attrubuteselector usage - how to get element nodesincluding their decendants with the attributeselector

Hi Jan.

On Tue, 2004-11-16 at 10:38, Jan bei GMX wrote:
> I put the xml document which I want to protect in the resourceContent
> element of the xacml request context.
> [...]
> Now I'm trying to select a part of the resourceContent with the help of
> the attributeselecor.
>
> <AttributeSelector RequestContextPath="//context:ResourceContent/gml:Polygon" DataType="urn:oasis:names:tc:xacml:1.0:data-type:string"/>
>
> What I'd like to get back is a string which is equal to this one:
> [...XML content...]
> Unfortunately I can only access the text nodes. Does anybody now how I
> can get the desired string by using the attrubuteselector or is it
> simply not posssible?

What you want is not possible using an attribute selector. Check out
section 5.42 of the 2.0 specification. It says that a selector may only
resolve an attribute, text, comment, or processing intstruction node,
and then is supposed to take the string value and create an attribute
value from that. Yes, this is pretty limiting. It would be nice to get
back a node that you could operate on, or at least an Element that you
could work with, but that's not supported. You'll need to write a custom
function that lets you select an Element and handle all the
sub-elements. Sorry.

seth

ps  Looking at my code now, I think I may actually be too lenient here,
since I let you work on the text of top-level Elements too. Hrm..